July 01, 2024

S is for Social Media ~ by Wendy L. Macdonald


 

For writers who are also introverts social media can be a dirty duo.

I get that.

If our goal is to get traditionally published, divulging our dislike of using social media can get us canned. (I may or may not have learned this by experience.)

I don’t think social media is detestable. It’s like a seasoning that’s best used in moderation. It adds zip to an author’s platform. But too much time spent on it can overwhelm the writer and dilute their ability to write long-form projects. 

An emotionally exhausted author can’t create well when her well is dry.

Using social media to enhance a writer’s platform looks different for different personalities. An introvert with a limited supply of social spoons must find out what works best for her. Social media is about serving our target audience without making ourselves targets for overwhelm.

One person’s formula is one person’s formula. It can also vary throughout the year. For example, I cut back on my posts because I was teetering on the edge of burnout. Posting once a week on my main platforms restored my love of sharing and renewed my genuine love for my followers. (I didn’t have the heart to take a full sabbatical because I didn’t want to alarm my devoted readers. I love them.) As it turned out, posting once a week is my sweet spot for using social media. If I sense a nudge to add more posts in the future, I will.

What does serving your audience look like?

Serving means sharing what we've learned our followers like best. Mine prefer flower photography and encouraging words. Staying away from politics or other divisive topics serves well too. There’s a place for those things. At present (and maybe always), my platform isn’t it.

Social media is also a place to socialize. Several years ago, I stumbled upon what works best for me. Since I find the home feeds overwhelming, I often skip them and simply visit back those who recently visited my page. It helps me be social without getting exhausted. I do this mostly for Instagram and X.  

Social media is a wonderful way to find good reads we may otherwise miss. Think about the last few books you read. How did you find out about them? When I get to know and admire an author via their social media presence, it often leads me to download a sample chapter of their latest book. If that goes well, I buy it.      

Social media is a great way to discover readers and what blesses them best. Once we realize what passion of ours meets their needs the most, we’re wise to focus on it. I regularly pray that the words on my posts glorify God and encourage readers. It’s wise to invite God’s help. Always.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

Psalm 19:14 KJV   

What do you think of social media? What do you love about it? What do you find challenging about it? I’m nosy to know.


Wendy L. Macdonald is an inspirational blogger and YouTuber who loves to do nature photography on Vancouver Island. Her happy place is making junk journals to sell in her Etsy shop. Her byline is: “My faith is not shallow because I’ve been rescued from the deep.”


7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post today, Wendy, about writing on social media. I have come to see that I am not an intense introvert, but rather an introvert mixed with social tendencies. I do enjoy my social media feeds (when it's with the people I want to be with online). I've met so many wonderful people from all over the world this way, and I love it.

    I LOVE blogging - it's my favourite place to write and share. I have also come to realize that, like you, in this present season, blogging once a week is my sweet spot. I used to blog more often but found it too much to keep finding new content and still carry on with the needful things of my other life. It lets me stay connected to my beautiful readers; I would miss them dreadfully if I quit blogging or stepped away for any length of time. And they have in turn assured me on many occasions that I would leave a hole in their blogging company if I should disappear. Once a week seems to fit the bill.

    Thanks for giving us an opportunity to chat about social media in our lives. Best blessings to you, Wendy.

    Bren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Bren. It's a happy thing to find our sweet spot in all areas of creativity and life. It's a sign we've embraced God's easy yoke. He's so good to us.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  2. This comment made me chuckle: "(I may or may not have learned this by experience.)"

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on social media, Wendy; I agree that it has a place in a writer's toolbox, and engagement is necessary for those who seek traditional publication. I also agree that it can be a challenge for those who tend to be introverted (like me). I personally don't have time to maintain an authorial presence on social media at present. Maybe in retirement...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Susan. I think consistency is the key. I plan to work on this concerning my own blog once I retire from my InScribe blog duties. I miss my website. But I don't have the bandwidth to keep it going right now.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  3. SM can be so tricky! Sometimes I wonder if anyone is really connecting or just posting, posting, posting! Finding your sweet spot for frequency is important, as is being intentional about your message... You did a wonderful job of outlining some of the pitfalls and triumphs you've experienced...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People notice if we're just posting. And those who notice readers the most get noticed more often on Goodreads etc. I enjoy going the extra mile when an author takes a kind step towards me.
      Thank you for your encouraging words, dear Tracy.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  4. Your words and encouragements are so affirming, Wendy. You've shown us that each of our ways into SM is individual. Thanks for discussing this topic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.