July 08, 2024

S is For Senior Processing Errors by Bob Jones


Has it happened to you?

 

You go into the kitchen to get the key to the mailbox, see the dishwasher needs emptying, and as you put the clean dishes away you realize you haven’t had your morning coffee but as you pour a cup you can’t remember why you came into the kitchen.

 

Stan Goldberg has written a lot about different types of senior moments. What they share in common is information processing errors. These moments are not necessarily early warning signs of dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. They are normal experiences that can be helped with more sleep, a healthy diet, exercise, doing one thing at a time, using stress management techniques or reducing mental clutter by using lists, calendars or apps.

 

How many of the following have you experienced?

 

1.  Forgetting Names/Numbers

Have you been at a gathering, and a person approaches you whose name has inexplicably been stripped from your memory? What’s worse is when the person is a close relative. As the person approaches, your anxiety increases with each step. Or, you have called your spouse’s cell phone hundreds of times but when you need to use someone else’s phone to call, you can’t remember if the last four digits are 6502 or 6250.

 

2.  Repeating Stories

You meet a friend, and they begin telling a story about a trip. You groan inwardly because this is the second or third or fourth time you have heard it. You listen politely because you understand the story has more to do with the significance it has in your friend’s life.

 

3. Misplacing Objects/Forgetting Purpose

We all misplace objects. It is a daily occurrence for some people. Sometimes we misplace ourselves. You end up in a room in your house and can’t remember why you went there.

 

4. Substituting Words

When a man asked his wife if their dog, Silver, had been fed, he used a long-deceased pet’s name, followed by the name of another deceased dog, then a third, eventually retrieving “Silver.”

 

5. Sequencing Problems

Everyone has experienced problems with tasks that require a series of steps. Sometimes, if the sequence is interrupted, even briefly, I forget the reason for initiating the move.

 

6. Difficulty Completing Tasks

It is Saturday morning, and you look at a list of unfinished projects accumulating over the last six months. You are so overwhelmed that instead of starting any of the tasks, you curl up in your favourite chair with a coffee and begin reading a new novel.

 

7. Disorientation

You show up at a store you’ve been in hundreds of times before and know exactly where to go to get what you need because your legs know exactly where to take you. However, one day when you show up, you are at a loss on how to get to your destination.

 

How many have you experienced?

 

Oh, did I write that already?

 

Processing errors can be troubling, but most of the time they're just a result of the brain's normal aging process. It is important to make note of these experiences over time and ask others to tell you if they've noticed that the moments are becoming more frequent and if so seek out professional help.

 

One thing I am encouraged by as I age is that Bible memorization is a way to keep your brain, as well as your spirit, tuned up.

 

Thank you for reading. 

 

Bob (the above photo is from my 70th b-day after running 10km to raise $ for humanitarian work in Ukraine)

16 comments:

  1. Thank you, Bob, for helping us feel less alone with our senior moments. Number 6 made me smile.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Jones2:18 pm GMT-7

      You are as vulnerable as the day is long, Wendy! Glad you could smile.

      Delete
  2. I smiled as I read your post because many of these are familiar, yet at the same time I felt a bit sad because it can also be stressful when these things occur. However, thank you for your introduction which gave suggestions for how to cope. (More sleep is a big one I think.) Your note at the end about bible memorization was spot on. My mother slipped into dementia but when she first became non-communicative she could still quote scripture if someone read a familiar passage aloud. It was astounding, really, how she would just join in with the reading even though she did not respond to any other conversation with aanything but a blank stare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Jones2:24 pm GMT-7

      So good to read about your mom. Part of my first roles as a pastor in 1980 was to visit seniors in longterm care. I had never heard of dementia. I visited one woman on a monthly basis for 2 1/2 years. She was on a ward with other seniors from our church. She swore like a sailor. Prayed for her each month. Never met her family until 2 1/2 years later. I found out she had been the leader of her church's women's ministry in her healthier days. They mourned their mother's loss of a vibrant faith. But Jesus knew her.

      Delete
  3. Bob, this was fun to read... I think. :) For the most part, for me, it's nouns that go missing in my world. My dear husband is learning to play the charades game with me when they temporarily disappear. What I am so glad for is that Bible verses and old hymns I learned as a girl are still there, ready to bubble up at a moment's notice. All is not lost.

    Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Jones2:25 pm GMT-7

      Brenda, it seems like a lot of us are in the same stage of life. I was SO good with names. Now I can get the first or last but not both in some cases. I have to laugh silenty or I'd cry.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this great post, Bob. Like Brenda, my greatest memory loss is nouns. When an older friend was 90, he recited a story that includes: " I'm here at the foot of the stairs. Am I going up to get something? Or did I just come down? I'm here at the mailbox. Did I just post a letter? Or am I here to pick up my mail?"
    Unfortunately I can't remember any more scenarios, but we all get the point.
    Scripture memorization is a good memory strategy, as is doing crossword puzzles for me. And we can't forget that writing keeps our brains working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Jones2:26 pm GMT-7

      Yes, Sandi, anything to keep building new connections in our brains. Even writing kind comments. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:28 am GMT-7

    How well you describe all of us over 50 or so I’ve experienced a lot of those I’ve learned little tricks on how to let people introduce themselves. I go back out of the room and start over if I can’t remember why I went in it’s all part of living and we are good at it mostly And you gave us a really good thinking process and how is it that after running 10 K you’re not even sweating that’s quite annoying for someone who barely walks from here to there. Thanks again Brenda Wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Jones2:28 pm GMT-7

      You've got some good coping strategies there, Brenda! And the sweat had already evaporated. It took me over an hour to find the strength to stand up and walk to the car to drive to the Starbucks. :)

      Delete
  6. Bob, many of these resonate with me. Thanks for making me feel a little better about myself, in such a fun way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Jones2:29 pm GMT-7

      And thank you for doing the same for me by commenting, Joy!

      Delete
  7. Great article, Bob! My grandmother developed Alzheimers at the tender age of 57 and my Mom developed Lewy Body dementia in her late 60's so I am understandably aware that I have a family history of "senior moments" that turned into something more serious. Loved the Bible memorization strategy! I also play online Scrabble with a bunch of friends and do crossword puzzles on a regular basis. I also purpose to learn a new skill, audit college courses, trying a new exercise routine, learning a new game - all with the purpose of keeping my brain working on new things. There's a lot we can do to keep our brains functioning into our senior years. And hopefully we can get a good chuckle when we have those "senior moments". Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, those are all great strategies to give your brain some exercise! I'm glad you are taking care of yourself and being on the alert.

      Delete
  8. Great, relatable post, Bob. While emceeing an event I had to announce the winner of a prize over the mic and my mind went absolutely blank even though I had known the lady personally for many years. When I looked over your list I can relate to it all. Thanks for the insight and a chuckle or two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you could chuckle. That is such an interesting word. Chuckle is not as intense as chortle or guffaw. It's a happy word. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.