July 02, 2024

S is for Silly Me ~ by Brenda J. Wood

  

Silly me, I should have kept that deadline.

Silly me, I should have entered that contest.

Silly me, I should have checked my spelling.

Silly me, I should have finished that novel.

Silly me I ……. (Fill in the blank)

 

Silly means weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish (Dictionary.com)

Thesaurus.com gives 53 other ways to say silly. Some of them are too silly to mention but here are the highlights:

childish, crazy, frivolous, idiotic, irresponsible,

ludicrous, nonsensical, pointless, preposterous,

ridiculous, simple, empty, irrational, stupid 

sheep-headed, asinine, brainless, empty-headed,

featherbrained, ignorant, muddle-headed,

illogical, immature, witless. 


On our worst day, we are not any of these things. Why do we continue to speak untruths into our minds and hearts? We tell ourselves these things while knowing deep down that they aren’t true.

“We use negative drama to scare ourselves out of creativity.” (Julia Cameron, The Artist’s Way, page 141)

For as he (or as a man or woman) thinketh in his heart, so is he. Proverbs 23:7 (KJV)

As a Man Thinketh is a self-help book by James Allen, published in 1903. It was described by Allen as "... [dealing] with the power of thought.”

It was the publishing date that really caught my attention. (Don’t be fooled by later publications.) 

This truth has been visible for years. Isn’t it time we grabbed onto it for ourselves?

He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD. (Psalm 112:7)

(But do we specialize in giving bad news to ourselves?

How different would our creative life be if our thoughts lined up with this verse?

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think on these things. Philippians 4:8

 


Brenda J. Wood has authored more than fifty books. She is a seasoned motivational speaker, who declares the Word of God with wisdom, humour, and common sense.





3 comments:

  1. I love the quotes you included, dear Brenda. So much wisdom here,
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we speak such silly talk to and about ourselves, we really are as you say specializing in giving bad news to ourselves. I much prefer to line up with what is true and lovely and of a good report. Thanks, Brenda, for a great post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.