June 24, 2024

Readers Who Write by Lorrie Orr

 


Doris is the eldest girl, with three younger siblings,
 of which there would eventually be 9 more.













Every night, Doris' father sat in his armchair, unfolded his newspaper, and began reading. Four-year-old Doris watched his lips moving, forming the words silently as he read in English, his second language. Doris wanted desperately to read, so much so that during the day, she would sit in his chair, hold the newspaper as best she could, and move her lips. Sadly, this method did not seem to help her decipher words in the least, but once she started school, reading came easily. Doris grew up to become my mother and loves to read to this day.

Do you remember learning to read? Dick and Jane were the stories I read in Grade One, and I do not remember the learning process, but the joy of reading has never left me. So much happens when I read. I escape into other worlds. My mind races and/or calms. I learn about a plethora of subjects. I deepen my connection with God, not only when I read the Bible, but also when I see how He is present in others' lives in the stories I devour. I am motivated to do things. Reading is my great delight.

Reading teaches me much about writing. Do you know a writer who does not enjoy reading? I don't. Stephen King says, "If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write." How I read influences how much I learn. 

I read quickly, often racing through books to get to the denouement, then most often sitting back with satisfaction at a tale well-told. And since I miss a lot when I do that, I often return to the story, reading more slowly, taking note of the way the author uses words or details to bring about a desired outcome. Francine Prose (what a great name for a writer), says "We all begin as close readers. Even before we learn to read, the process of being read aloud to, and of listening, means that we are taking in one word after another, one phrase at a time, that we are paying attention..." When I read to my young granddaughters, I read the story as it is written the first few times. Then I begin changing individual words. The little girls love to catch me out and correct me. They are paying attention. They know that the words I substitute do not fit the story. They are learning to delight in reading.

Learning from literature, from reading, teaches me by positive models. I ask myself why the author chose this word over that one, how this sentence is constructed, why this gesture is included. Strunk and White's classic Elements of Style tells me what and what not to do. In reading literature, I see those elements at work. Prose, in her work Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them cautions that the "advantage of reading widely, as opposed to trying to formulate a series of general rules, is that we learn there are no general rules, only individual examples to help point you in a direct in which you might want to go." I notice Hemingway's concise way with words and L. M. Montgomery's flowery use of them. I see how Charlotte Bronte uses colour to evoke meaning in Jane Eyre. The list could go on and on. 

Last summer I read a cleverly constructed light novel dealing with time travel. The ending startled me and I found myself going back and forth in the book, looking at clues the author had written with seeming effortlessness. I love the story in Acts 8 of Philip hearing the Ethiopian reading from Isaiah and asking him if he understood what he read. Those words led to grace and salvation. The power of words cannot be understated. My words and your words are not inspired as Isaiah's are, and yet God uses our writing to his glory. 

What do you enjoy reading? 



Lorrie Orr writes from Vancouver Island. Sitting down with a cup of tea and a book is a lovely way to spend a few hours, inside, outside, on a boat, or in the woods. Her favourite genres include mystery, history, memoir, historical fiction, cooking, gardening, and just about anything printed between two covers. 

 


5 comments:

  1. As a young reader, I read for amusement and adventure and for the sheer delight of holding a book in one's hand and turning the pages. I still read for these, but now as a more mature reader who also writes, I'm also paying attention to how the author created her story, how she describes specific situations and experiences, how she delights the reader with certain turns of phrases, how she so skillfully wraps up several years' worth of detail in just a few succinct sentences, bringing the story forward without bogging the reader down in details we don't need. I've learned so much about writing from reading.

    I enjoyed your post, Lorrie, and the glimpse into your own mom's reading journey. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, dear Lorrie, for these wonderful examples of why it's wise for writers to read. I especially appreciate these words of yours: "Learning from literature, from reading, teaches me by positive models."
    How fun that we can learn much while doing something we love. Reading is the best classroom ever.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've raced through a book before because the storyline was so engaging I just needed to know what happened next! I've also gone back to reread certain works and savour the way the author used language. When reading quickly, we get the story but we often miss so much... Loved this post, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie Ronald11:10 pm GMT-7

    Great post, Lorrie! It is hard to imagine a writer who doesn't love to read. How you read your granddaughters' favourite books to them, changing words occasionally to keep them on their toes, is a fun way to teach them the delights of reading. Like you, I love to read for pleasure as well as to learn from other authors. My current favourites are Kate Morton, Lisa Samson and Charles Martin. Enjoy your summertime reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely reminder of how important it is to read both for our writing inspiration and for the young ones in our lives. Thank you, Lorrie!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.