June 13, 2024

Overcoming Resistance by Steph Beth Nickel

 



I first came across the idea of resistance as it pertains to our writing in Steven Pressfield's book The War of Art.

If writing is a regular part of your routineand you've overcome the resistance that threatened to keep you from putting pen to paper or fingers to keyboard, at least for the most partyou may not be able to relate to this post. And that's awesome!

However, if you, like me, are still dealing with resistance, read on. 

I can come up with any number of excuses for not working on my long-neglected manuscripts. Maybe you can relate.

My clients' work has to be my priority, as do my volunteer responsibilities.

I have an excess of "starting energy." But pushing through "the messy middle"? That's a different story.

Do I really want to finish my manuscript(s) and revise it/them two, three, or more times?

Do I have what it takes to learn to self-publish?

Would it be worth the financial investment to get my books out into the world?

Since I've planned to self-publish one or more books annually for several years but have never done so, maybe I should simply give up on my publishing aspirations completely.

And seriously . . . does the world really need the books I have chasing each other around in my mind?

It's so much easier to work on short pieces like blog posts and articles.

I have errands to run and housework to tend to.

I have so many books TO READ (and podcasts to listen to).

And, to be perfectly honest . . .
I think I'll just lie here on the couch and scroll on my phone, pausing long enough to watch a series of mindless reels, another YouTube video, or a full-length TV show.

Talk about resistance!

Whenever we encounter resistance as writers, we have to be honest with ourselves, acknowledge that much of the time we're simply making excuses, and develop a detailed plan to overcome.

So, here are a couple of steps I'm going to take: 

Before needs to become one of my new favourite words. Before I lie back on the couch and pick up my phone on any given day, I will work on my manuscriptif even for 15-30 minutes.

I will schedule actual timeslots into my week for writing and others for researching self-publishing. I am not only a pantser when it comes to writing but also when it comes to life. I vehemently resist a rigid schedule. And while a certain amount of flexibility can be a very good thing, some things have to be done at a specific time on a specific day or they will remain undone. At least that's how it is in my world.

I'd love to hear what you do to overcome resistance.



7 comments:

  1. Steph, your list of resistance excuses sounds all too familiar to me. Although they pull less often now that my life is on a slower and simpler plane (being retired and inching towards my 70s).

    I do like your watch word 'before'. I think it's a fun reminder to get some writing done before moving along to all the other needful things, including couch potato-ing and scrolling our phones.

    Thanks, Steph, for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you certainly made me smile! While I've succumbed to most of these thoughts at one time or another, I guess I've been able to push through... I've found that a scheduled writing slot works some of the time. Possibly even more powerful is just saying to myself, "I will work on this piece for ten minutes." That's it. Just ten minutes... which inevitably becomes longer once I get started. If not, I've given myself permission to quit and do something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to this great advice, dear Steph: "I will work on my manuscript—if even for 15-30 minutes."
    Those mini writing sessions add up and restore our passion for sidelined projects.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:15 pm GMT-7

    Yes, Steph, there are lots of excuses and perhaps some valid reasons too. We just have to resolve to push through them and take whatever time we can manage.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:11 pm GMT-7

    We are all do it and we’ve all heard it and yet we need to hear it repeated again thank you for reminding us Brenda Wood

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your great reminder, Steph. Yes, we need to face our excuses, and with God's help, write regularly--even for that 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob Jones7:45 pm GMT-7

    Great post, Steph! I like your strategy of "before". We used to say to our sons when they were young, do what you have to do and then do what you want to do. Sometimes they are one and the same, but not always. Discipline makes champions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.