May 09, 2024

Quilting Thoughts from a Writer (or possibly, Writing Thoughts from a Quilter) by Joylene M Bailey

 


The first time I ever attended the Quilting Club in the village near my country home I had a bad attitude. My husband can attest to my grouchiness as I packed up my sewing machine, half-begun baby quilt, scissors, thread, rotary cutter, seam gauge, pin cushion, extra bobbins, etc, etc, etc.

"I have a perfectly wonderful sewing station at home! Why would I pack up all this gear and haul it to the village hall, to sew with a bunch of strangers, only to pack it up again in a few hours?!!"

In truth, my irritability was masking my jitters. I'm an introvert. I'm happy with solitary activities. I'd only made baby quilts up to that point. These quilters were practically professional ... probably. And what would they think of my meagre efforts?

When I arrived, I discovered that all of the quilters were regular people, who loved their craft. They welcomed me with no preconceived ideas or judgement. Over the next weeks and months, I learned how kind and gracious and fun they were, generous with their time and guidance. Each quilter was at a different level, from beginner to practically professional, and every week I learned something new.

Since that first day over a year ago, I've looked forward to Quilting Club every Wednesday. I'm learning so much. In fact, because of their inspiration and encouragement, I tackled my first full-sized quilt (above). It took me almost a year to complete - choosing the fabric, colours, and patterns; cutting hundreds and hundreds of 2-inch-square segments; piecing them together. It is now at a quilt shop being professionally quilted (which, if you're not familiar with quilting, is actually the process of sewing all three layers--quilt top, inside batting, and fabric backing--together to make the quilt).

This week I watched as my second adult-size quilt was quilted on the club's long-arm quilting machine by one of the members of the Quilting Club. Another day of learning. By the time summer rolls around I will have finished two more. That will make four finished full-size quilts in a year. If you had told me a year ago that I'd accomplish such a thing, I wouldn't have believed you. 

But there it is - the power of a group of encouraging and like-minded crafters. 

And another thing ... I feel like I can hold my head up now and own the title, Quilter. But the truth is I was a quilter before I even set foot in the village hall that day. I just have more knowledge and experience now. And I'll continue to learn and grow as I hone my craft.

*****

I was a writer before I set foot in my first writing conference. I was a writer eleven years ago when I called for like-minded people to join me in my home to form a writers' group. I was nervous, but when five strangers showed up at my door that first day, I discovered that we were all regular people who loved to write. We ranged from beginner to published author, and we wrote in almost every genre you can imagine. We learned from each other, encouraged each other, and kept one another accountable to our goals. We published a book of our short stories and poems. And we became wonderful friends.

My writing wouldn't be where it is today without this gifted group of people, plus the extraordinary gift of my accomplished Writing Buddy, with whom I check in several times a week, and who has also become a dear friend.

My writing has deepened and grown. I have more confidence in calling myself Writer. This is the power of encouraging and like-minded people.

Who are your people? Even we solitary, introverted, and sometimes grouchy crafters need others who love writing as much as we do.


~~~~~

Photo by Joy Bailey




Joy quilts and writes from her home in lake country Alberta, where the grass is finally turning green and her thoughts are turning to gardening. Although, whether or not she can call herself Gardener is yet to be determined. Find more of her joy-infused writing at her blog, Scraps of Joy.

19 comments:

  1. I love the analogy you made between quilting and writing. Thank you, dear Joy, for reminding us how important (and wonderful) it is to find our people.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. I do love my people, as I'm sure you love yours. :)

      Delete
  2. Love this post, Joy! I liked the juxtaposition of two "themes" and can relate to both. I haven't done much quilting lately, but have had tons of fun and fellowship through the craft. Waaaay back I took a quilting class to support my friend who was starting a quilt shop. I doubted that i would be interested, however. WRONG! I ended up loving it and taking more classes, then became a regular at "all night" quilting gatherings held by a few fanatics several times a year. We'd pack up all that stuff as you said, along with some snacks to share, and quilt until morning! it was so much fun!!!! I'm not sure I'd have the energy to do it now, but those were special times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All night quilting gatherings! Oh my, I don't think I could do all nighters these days. BUT next week my quilting club is having a three-day quilting retreat at a Lutheran Camp 10 minutes from my house. It'll be the perfect set-up: catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all the quilting and chatting I can manage, and still come home to sleep in my own bed in-between.

      I hope you kept some of the quilts you made. :)

      Delete
  3. I love your quilt, Joy. The colours make me think of a summer bouquet. I also love how you have woven your two passions into this most enjoyable post. You're right, even those of us who are more solitary and introverted need to hang with others who share similar interests for inspiration, companionship, and plain ole fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. I still love it too, even after all those hours of working on it.

      And, plain ole fun is paramount! Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Hi Joy! I enjoyed your post and how you meshed quilting and writing together. I have never quilted but I am a little familiar with this craft. My wife has quilted, as did her mother and grandmother. I had a small writing group, but it disbanded a couple of years ago. My soul friend Janelle is helpful and always ready to review my writing. I don't have a writing group at the moment. I love to interact with other writers when I can. Blessings to you and your family, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan. I'm sorry your small writing group disbanded. Maybe there's another one in your future. :) I'm glad you have your soul friend to bounce things off of. Each resonator is so important.

      Delete
  5. I adore this in every way! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for this wonderful comment, Colleen.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful experience you've had and are having with your quilting, Joy! It's always good to have a second artistic interest besides writing. I've quilted both for babies and for adults, and I discovered the visual and tactile aspects complemented the mental work of writing--choosing colours, sewing the pieces together, comparing notes with other quilters, visiting quilt shops--how stimulating! Let us know how your quilting retreat goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, it's true, there are so many similarities between quilting and writing. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for the wonderful encouragement and your inspiring blog post. During the time when I wasn't writing, due to various circumstances, I almost felt as though I had lost the right to call myself a writer. Writing was a part of me, but its absence made me doubt my identity as a writer. However, I reminded myself that the number of books written doesn't define who I am as a writer. It's about the passion, the desire to tell stories, to weave words that touch others. And that's something I've always had and will continue to have.

    It's funny how sometimes we define ourselves by what we don't do rather than what we do. While my sister indulges in quilting and excels in crocheting and knitting, I'm the one who tells stories through words. Each of us has our own creative outlet, and together, we make a beautiful whole.

    So, once again, thank you for your words of encouragement. They reminded me that my identity as a writer doesn't vanish when I'm not actively writing; rather, it awaits the moment when I return to the pen and paper, or in this case, the keyboard and screen. 📝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aritha, thank you for this lovely comment. Your words touched my heart, and yes it's true ... "my identity doesn't vanish when I'm not actively writing." I love that.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous7:15 pm GMT-7

    Your quilt is stunning! It takes alot off talent to make all those different fabrics look awesome together!
    I'm glad you kept going to your quilt group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad I kept going too. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Bob Jones7:58 pm GMT-7

    I loved your title and your quilt, Joylene! Introverts can be the greatest of friends. I'm glad you discovered your tribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob. I agree, an introvert for a friend is a treasure!

      Delete
  10. Michelle Strutzenberger4:31 pm GMT-7

    Thanks Joy. You have genuinely inspired me. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.