November 10, 2023

K is for Christ Our King ~ by Brenda J Wood

 

K is for Christ who sets the standard of integrity. 

Let’s be sure that we put our best effort forth so that we earn that pot of gold at the end of our publishing deal!  Is our book well-edited and is our printing choice readable? I remember I did one of my first books in point nine font to be sure I could get all my thoughts on the page. Wonderful thoughts, but so tiny that an insect would have trouble deciphering them!

And so, we ask each other questions like this. How do I sell more books? Where can I place my books? Will anyone out there buy my book?

It takes energy to promote your writing. It takes help from friends and it requires keeping up with the current trends. Fellow writers might plan a group giveaway or display. Someone might rent a hall and ask for others to step in and display. Your library might have a reading gig. The choices are endless.

The sad truth is that we have to get our name and our book out so that people see it and want it. For me, this often means giving my books away. What does it hurt? The books are bought and paid for and taking up space under my bed. They might as well do someone some good!

I see my true job not in the writing, but in the sharing of my faith.  I can’t do that if I hog my books onto myself and chase the pot of gold instead of the joy of the rainbow.

A grieving spouse gets a gift to The Pregnant Pause of Grief.  Conversation with my waitress might result in Short and Sweet, my latest devotional. I want to change lives. I want people to know the Jesus I know. 

Don’t gamble on the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, pawning your house against a lucky chance. The time will come when you have to pay up; you’ll be left with nothing but the shirt on your back. (Proverbs 22:26-27, MSG)

Someone calculated the value of a ‘pot of gold’ A large teapot fully filled might hold about 250 ounces of gold or about 400.000.00 dollars’ worth. How does that calculate against a soul for the kingdom?




Brenda J. Wood has authored more than fifty books. She is a seasoned motivational speaker, who declares the Word of God with wisdom, humour, and common sense.

6 comments:

  1. I so agree with your advice to be generous with our books. As you said, we often have a box languishing somewhere so we might as well share them! Also, your words about making sure our work is formatted and presented well made me think of something Steve Bell said at Fall Conference. He said that making our books "beautiful" - something to be proud of - is honouring to God as well. Blessings Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, dear Brenda, for reminding us what our true job is as inspirational writers: "I see my true job not in the writing, but in the sharing of my faith."
    Amen to your words, sister in Christ. This post encouraged me more than you could ever know.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, there is great wisdom in setting your sights on sharing the good news of Christ with others. The gold is shiny and attractive but worth far less than a soul saved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post, Brenda. A wonderful reminder of what we are doing, why we are writing it and for Whom it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle Strutzenberger11:01 am GMT-7

    Thank you, Brenda. Yes, it takes energy - and time - to promote our books and writing. And I agree that giving away our work is a powerful approach, especially if we do so in a spirit of truly blessing and encouraging others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Brenda, for your words and experience as a writer. You give me much food for thought here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.