November 13, 2023

The Power of Kindness by Steph Beth Nickel

 

Many of us underestimate the power of kindness.

Recently, I underwent a procedure to remove scar tissue from my eye, and I rediscovered just how powerful kindness can be.

From my incredibly attentive husband who waited on me hand and foot for the three days I kept my eyes closed to the texts sent by caring friends before and after the procedure.

Do you know someone who may benefit from a simple act of kindness today?

Someone who has a chronic physical condition?

Someone who is lonely?

Someone who is depressed or even "in a funk"?

A friend and I were discussing how we would like to do more for those who often "suffer in silence."

You may not have large pockets of time in your schedule, but you are a writer.

You may never know how much it could mean to someone to receive a card in the mail, an I'm-thinking-of-you-text, or even a humorous meme to brighten their day.

At our monthly prayer meeting, I've discovered that attendees rarely, if ever, share personal prayer requests. 

This got me to thinking, "Why is this?"

Are we too proud?

Do we think others' situations are more serious than our own?

Do we not want to draw attention to ourselves?

As Christians, we are called to pray for one another.

If you are struggling physically, are lonely, or are dealing with emotional challenges, I encourage you to reach out to at least a few trusted family members and/or friends.

You just might be surprised at how their small acts of kindness can lift you up.

And if you know of someone who could use an encouraging word today, don't underestimate the power of kindness that's at your fingertips.

6 comments:

  1. I've noticed that same thing, Steph - people not sharing their own personal requests at prayer meetings, but easily praying for others. I do this, too, come to think of it. It is an examination in pride, for sure. thanks for this encouraging post. I hope you ar efully recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, dear Steph, to your call for acts of kindness. I've noticed they're an effective mood lifter for both the giver and the receiver.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Steph, kindness we extend to others, no matter how small or insignificant can be drops that create waves. It is a bizarre thing that we tend not to ask for personal prayer when prayer is so crucial for us all. Hoping and praying you have healed completely. Thanks for making me think this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle Strutzenberger5:41 pm GMT-7

    I agree that it's so easy to underestimate and forget about the power of kindness. Thank you for this gentle reminder. I will be looking for ways to be more intentionally kind with my family and at my workplace this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this reminder, Steph. I still try to write personal hand-written notes to people from time to time and most recipients are absolutely delighted by this "old-fashioned" form of communication. One of the simple things a writer can do to express kindness, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing how you were really encouraged. The Lord has prompted me to be more of an encourager.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.