November 08, 2023

K is For Knuckle by Bob Jones

 


Knuckle created a plethora of painful memories for me.

 

Remember those elementary class competitions to see who had the knack of spelling? I was stung more than once at a spelling bee. My stomach knotted up over tricky words starting with a silent K. Even words with Os landed me in jeopardy. And I felt dumb over how subtle a B could be.

 

Silent Letters

 

My father had a dad's sense of humour. He would test our psyches about the silent P in swimming. “Dad! There is no P in swimming.” My younger sister would give him the raspberry every time he repeated that joke.

 

Do you know in the English language more than 60% of the words have silent letters in them? As kids we had to knuckle down to become proficient at spelling. Now, we simply google.

 

Our responsibility as writers is not merely employing English correctly. It is using English to illuminate, inspire, and inform. I’m not suggesting writers shouldn’t care about spelling, especially in published pieces. However, good spellers don’t necessarily make great writers.

 

Gooch

 

Have you heard the story of Gooch? He was a newly hired traveling salesman who sent his first sales report to the home office. The brass in the sales department were stunned because it was obvious that their new salesman was ignorant.

 

He wrote: “I seen this outfit which they ain’t never bot a dim’s worth of nothin from us and I sole them some goods. I’m now goin to Chicawgo.”

 

Before the man could be given his pink slip from the sales manager, along came a letter from Chicago: “I cum hear and sole them haff a millyon.”

 

Fearful if he did, and afraid if he didn’t fire Gooch, the sales manager dumped the problem in the lap of the president. The following morning, posted on the bulletin board above the two letters written by Gooch was a memo from the president:

 

“We ben spendin two much time trying to spel instead of trying to sel. Let’s watch those sails. I want everybody should read these letters from Gooch who is on the rode doin a grate job for us and you should go out and do like he done.”

 

Salespeople sell. Writers right. Write? Don’t knuckle under to shortcomings with silent Ks, Os, or Ps in your writing. Spell check can correct an inspiring piece of writing far better than inspire a piece of writing with good spelling.

 

What words might trip you up with their spelling?

 

“I don't see any use in having a uniform and arbitrary way of spelling words. We might as well make all clothes alike and cook all dishes alike. Sameness is tiresome; variety is pleasing.”
Mark Twain

 

Lest we forget that Shakespeare spelled his surname in five different ways. None of them was S H A K E S P E A R E.

 

“A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other one.”

 


Bob is serious about writing, but doesn't take himself seriously. He works hard at humour and sharing stories at REVWords.com


16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post immensely, Bob! You had me giggling over my porridge. I love the English language but it can confuse the most brilliant of its users when it comes to spelling and grammar. I agree with you. Writers should right. write? (the one that always trips me up is "lie, lay, laid" 😬 )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:21 pm GMT-7

      Glad I could illicit your giggles,Val. Thank you. Now I seem to have trouble commenting as myself. Can only does this anonymously. Maybe that's something more to giggle about.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Bob, for this delightful post. And thank you for making us smile. I'm hopeless without spelling aides. I hold editors in high esteem because they can turn messy writing into a lovely read. An especial thank you for the following words: "However, good spellers don’t necessarily make great writers."
    It's always a huge relief to be reminded of this.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:22 pm GMT-7

      Smiling is powerful. Even if you feel sad, smiling can help a person feel happy. Amazing, eh? I' glad you were smiling.

      Delete
  3. Thanxx fir thiz poast Bob. I have been anal (please ixcooz the langwage) abowt cpelin most ov mye life so itz hard for me not to chek spel chick to mayk shoor its dun rite, I meen rwite. Ok, this enuf. Gude job Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:23 pm GMT-7

      Luv your response, Alan! Keep smiling!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this post, Bob, and to Alan for his equally humorous reply. I think some people take to spelling naturally and others do not. There are good writers in either camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding my humour, Lorrie. I couldn't resist. :)

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:24 pm GMT-7

      Seems like humour is contagious, Lorrie! Thank you for leaning in with reading and commenting..

      Delete
  5. Great story! It made me laugh! "...good spellers don’t necessarily make great writers," is a gem. I was also surprised about Shakespeare's spelling of his name. I like to think I'm a Bard buff, but I did not know that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:28 pm GMT-7

      Success! Provoking a laugh for me is like climbing Everest. "Sources from William Shakespeare’s lifetime spell his last name in more than 80 different ways, ranging from “Shappere” to “Shaxberd.” https://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-william-shakespeare.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post, Bob! A great way to start my day. Are you back from the Ukraine? Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:29 pm GMT-7

      Thank you, Sharon. Leaving for Ukraine on November 28th.

      Delete
  7. I love a good story, Bob, and a good laugh to go with it. When it also gently pokes to remind us what's important and what's secondary, all the better. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:29 pm GMT-7

      Yes, important and necessary aren't always the same thing. Thank you, Barb!

      Delete
  8. Michelle Strutzenberger10:51 am GMT-7

    Thanks Bob! This was such fun to read! I teach English to those who are learning it as a second language, and I often commiserate with them about the zaniness of English spelling. It's difficult enough for those of us who have been using it our whole lives, but imagine learning to spell in English for the first time as a 60-year-old.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.