July 13, 2023

Take Me Away: A Poem about Genre by Steph Beth Nickel


Inspiration for this poem came from John Truby, who wrote The Anatomy of Genres.

 

Carry me off to worlds unknown, of dragons and hobbits and fae,

To planets and worlds beyond our own; oh, what a marvelous day!

 

Tell me the stories of worlds began, where darkness and light compete,

Or stories of ranchers way out west who never admit defeat.

 

Show me the heroes battling crime—detectives, PIs, and more,

Let me see from the other side what happens behind closed doors.

 

Make me laugh and make me gasp; I’m on the edge of my chair,

I love to be breathless and laugh out loud; a story can take me there.

 

They’re growing up and finding out who they’re meant to be,

Now looking back at what has been, of what they now can see.

 

What motivates and drives us on; what makes the story shine?

No matter what genre, it’s all about love, love of many kinds.

 

Stories may take us far away or take us deep inside,

The best of them will help us grow while on an incredible ride.

8 comments:

  1. What a perfect and fun poem about genres, dear Steph.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful! thank you Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this delightful read, Steph! I love the imagery in these lines:
    "Let me see from the other side what happens behind closed doors." (They take us into another world)
    "Stories may take us far away or take us deep inside" (and sometimes they do both)
    "The best...will help us grow while on an incredible ride." (Great conclusion!)


    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth Danna2:11 pm GMT-7

    Fun read Steph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth Danna2:17 pm GMT-7

      The phrase "behind closed doors" suggests to me a political thriller or spy story. My genres of chioce are mysteries and fantasy.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Stephanie, I loved this! These lines grabbed me:

    "Let me see from the other side what happens behind closed doors." (Oh yes, let's go!)

    "Stories may take us far away or take us deep inside
    "The best...will help us grow while on an incredible ride."

    Thanks!



    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely romp, Steph! Love it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle Strutzenberger12:36 pm GMT-7

    This is a delight to read and reminds me of some of the more fun poetry of yore.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.