July 11, 2023

Go Home! by Joylene M Bailey

 




I grew up near Winnipeg. It was difficult learning to ride a bike on our gravel road, but once I was competent I loved to ride up and down the road past all the acreages. Sun in my face, breeze in my hair, and fresh air in my lungs. 

There was only one hitch to hamper my happy rides: a yappy, snappy dog who'd come barrelling out of his yard to chase me. He terrified me. He'd bark and snap at my wheels, my pedals, my feet. 

Because of my terror, I'd lift my feet off the pedals. I'd get wobbly and lose my rhythm. But I quickly learned to channel the energy from my terror into the biggest meanest voice a little girl could muster, and holler, "Go Home!"

That's what Dad did when we rode the road together. Nothing seemed to frighten him. He'd just yell, "Go Home!" and keep pedalling. Eventually the dog would give up and go home.


I was thinking about that dog the other day as I began (again) to tackle my work in progress. There's been a mad dog biting at my heels as I try to work on this project. It's been trying to stop me in my tracks; to get the best of me. I've tried different ways to write the thing, but this yappy dog keeps taking away my focus. I'm losing my rhythm, getting wobbly, and it's terrifying me a little. 

Maybe the answer is to keep pedalling, no matter what. Tell that distracting dog to GO HOME! I might feel a little wobbly as I continue, but continue I must.

Brenda J. Woods's words, shared here on the blog last week, struck me: What crazy thoughts attack you right now? You don't have to live there. That is not the way of God.

No, this yappy dog is NOT from God. So I need to tell it to go back to where it came from, shift my focus from the dog at my heels to the writing road God has asked me to travel. 

Just keep pedalling. 

******** 

Feature photo by Jill Wellington of Pixabay


Joy no longer lives on that gravel road near Winnipeg, but still enjoys riding her bike. She's written children's stories, short stories, and poetry, and especially enjoys writing for her blog, Scraps of Joy



 

 

20 comments:

  1. Dear Joy, what wonderful encouragement you've shared with us today. Amen to telling the inner critic to go home.
    There's no room for editors during the first draft stage. Yay, you. "Just keep pedalling."
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and sometimes it helps to say it OUT LOUD so everybody, including me, knows I mean business. :) Thanks, Wendy.

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth Danna10:15 am GMT-7

    Well said Joy! Thanks for the reminder to "keep on truckin'" as we used to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How well I remember that phrase, and I can see a cartoon that goes with it. :)

      Delete
  3. I still remember that thrill, as a girl, when I found the balance and rhythm in learning to ride a bicycle. The old adage is true - once you learn you never forget.

    I wish it were that easy when it comes to wending our way through the scary, wobbly places of our works in progress - when those mean, yappy dogs try to scare us off our seats. Maybe you've got the secret to it . . . just keep pedalling.

    Thanks, Joy, for this charming, thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "wending our way through the scary, wobbly places ..." I love that phrase. Thanks so much for your encouragement, Brenda.

      Delete
  4. Michelle Strutzenberger12:55 pm GMT-7

    Thanks, Joy. This was a delight to read. The visual of our unhelpful thoughts, whatever those might be - self-doubt, anxiety, etc. -- as yappy dogs that need to be sent home will stay with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Michelle. So encouraging.

      Delete
  5. Loved the visual of this encouragement. Just keep pedalling! I am imagining the wind in my hair (eventually!) Thanks, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagining the wind in your hair ... well, it's especially nice on a hot summer day when there's no other breeze in the air. Wouldn't you agree? Thanks, Barb.

      Delete
  6. Hi Joy! Thank you for this fun, insightful, and real look at what we may encounter in our writing journey. Oops, please excuse me! ...Doggie, GO HOME! ...That crazy pooch even nips at my heals as I reply to your message. You have a fun way of writing on our blog yet you always teach me and encourage me to keep pedaling. Thank you so much, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you always encourage me in your comments, Alan. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

      Delete
  7. Endearing story, Joy. Love how the phrase "when we rode the road" sounds out loud. Keep telling the dogs to go home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I will, Bob. And I have to say, I loved the sound of "when we rode the road" too, after it landed on the page. Thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete
  8. Oh Joy! I love this post! it is a wonderful analogy that I think many of us can relate to. I couldn't help but picture sAtan as that yappy dog. We just need to tell him to GO HOME! Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I picture him as that yappy dog too. And we do have the authority to send him home, don't we? Thanks, Tracy.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for this vivid metaphor, Joy. How applicable, and how much we need to keep our eyes on Jesus as we write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Sandi. Keep our focus where it needs to be.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderfully encouraging post, Joy! Love it. Being a former Winnipeg resident I am curious where you lived. Thanks for being courageous and for telling ‘that dog’ to “Go home!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon. We lived on Pritchard Farm Road until I was 12 and then we moved to Alberta. When I looked up Pritchard Farm Road before writing the post I learned it's not considered part of the city of Winnipeg, but rather an RM. I never knew that before!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.