October 06, 2022

Stalled by Susan Barclay

Waaay back in 2004 I started work on my first novel. I'm a pantser so I didn't work with an outline, but I did have a good idea of how the story would begin and how it would end.

For a while, I wrote consistently and the words pretty much flowed from my head and onto the page. I was part of a monthly writing group that offered amazing feedback, encouragement, and support.

Then I got stuck. Hit a roadblock in the plot and didn't know where to go, what to write next. Somewhere along the way I also lost much of my work due to a computer snafu. Here's a fact I can endorse from experience: always, always back up your back-up.

A member of our writing group passed away after a years'-long battle with breast cancer. I hadn't realized how much of the glue she must have been because our group fell apart and has never regained its momentum. 

I started a writing course with author J.A. McLachlan. Her feedback on my work was great but her gentle suggestions made it clear that I needed to pretty much start over.

Then Covid hit. My mom fell and moved in with us. My daughter boomeranged back home as well. And now my son has returned. While I'm happy to have a full house and to care for the people God's placed in my life, it's also meant setting my project aside for this season. We talked more about this in my August post.

So, in terms of strategies I'd normally suggest to someone who's stuck - take a break and work on writing something else, seek feedback from others and see if it generates new ideas or directions, ask yourself 'what if this?/what if that?' - none of those help me right now. I also find it difficult to get up any earlier in the morning or stay awake any later at night. The one thing I can do is read other people's books. As I said in the August post, "Reading is an important activity for writers as we learn from both good and bad writing and get ideas for subjects we might want to explore further through our own work." All is not lost.

As I was scrolling through Facebook this morning, I found some encouragement on Jennifer Rothschild's page. She said:

Sometimes we look at Psalm 37:4 as a blank check. We think that if we delight in God, He will give us what we want. But the emphasis of the verse is on delighting. When we delight in God, He places in us the desires He wants us to have. “It is God who works in you,” Paul reminds us, “to will and to act according to his good purpose” (Philippians 2:13). When our delight is in God, we can trust that our desires will be what He wants for us. That way we never settle for less!

Today instead of worrying about my set-aside project, wondering if it will ever get finished, I choose to focus on delighting on God. I want nothing less than His best for me, and that may mean forgetting the novel and all the years I poured into it. I know the time wasn't wasted as I improved my ability and skill. 

God has good plans for me (Jeremiah 29:11) and for my writing. When the time is right, He will show me the next step(s). My trust and my hope are in Him and nothing else. Nothing is better than Him!

______________ 


For more about Susan Barclay and her writing, please visit 
www.susan-barclay.blogspot.com

 


 

10 comments:

  1. Amen, dear Susan, nothing is better than Jesus.
    This morning I drew comfort that even if writing dreams draw to a close in the middle of things, we're still found in the middle of His love. That's more than enough for anyone. It's a blessing to know that even if our writing doesn't please others enough to be published, we're still cherished by God because His Son's blood washes us pleasing in the Father's sight.
    We're so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and amen, Wendy. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I love the encouragement this post offers. It's not about productivity - it's about resting in God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all the practical wisdom in sometimes setting our writing aside, and trusting that the Lord will return us to our manuscripts as we delight in the Lord and as we trust him and His timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is trustworthy and knows what is best for us!

      Delete
  4. A wonderful post with excellent direction -‘delight in God’. Packs a punch. Thanks, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You have been through a lot of unexpected change. Respect to you for seeking out others to speak into your life and your writing career.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.