October 11, 2022

PROCRASTIWORKING by Joylene M Bailey

 


~~~~~

I learned a new word on the weekend. 
Procrastiworking.

I'm sure you've guessed what it means: avoiding the work you need to complete by doing other work instead.

I'm guilty of it. Sitting at my computer, blank page glaring, or feeling stuck in the muck of a problematic passage, I suddenly have the urge to get a drink of water. On the way to the kitchen I remember that I meant to cull through my closet last month. Now's as good a time as any. When half my closet has been dumped on the bed I come across an ancient flip phone. Could I still get cash for this thing, I wonder? Before you can say DON'T DO IT, I'm searching the internet for flip-phone forums. Which, of course, leads to spiralling into the void of YouTube videos on our late Queen's surviving Corgis.

Is any of this helpful for my work in progress?

~~~~~


~~~~~

The one-day writing summit I attended on the weekend highlighted procrastiworking. Only, they described it differently. They suggested that instead of pulling your hair out as you force the right words from your brain through your fingers onto the page, do something else.

Do anything else rather than striving on a [work in progress]. You free your mind to make connections not otherwise made. 
-- Terry & Eric Fan --
writers and illustrators

Hmmm ... I'm still trying to get my head around doing anything else as being helpful. Maybe?

I was definitely on board later in the day, when someone suggested that doing something else creative helped to open up new creative pathways in the brain so that when you go back to the page, creativity for the original project is refreshed, and you can come to the problem in a new way. 

For me, that creative outlet is sewing, specifically quilting. My mood shifts to calm and joy as soon as I lay my eyes on the fabric I'm about to use. And, at whatever stage I'm at in the quilting process, whether choosing the fabric colours & patterns to match or contrast, cutting out or assembling the pieces, machine-stitching or hand-sewing, my mind is busy working out puzzles. Puzzles in the quilt itself, puzzles in my life and in my work. So that when I go back to the work on the page, often the tweaks I need to refine and perfect the problematic passage are right there at the front of my mind.    

It might seem like procrastinating but in actuality it's still working on the WIP.



~~~~~

I like this positive spin on the term procrastiworking. Not only does it take away the burdensome guilt of doing something other than writing, it excites and fulfills me to know that while my hands might be doing something else, my brain can still be working on my writing project. I'm not wasting time. Maybe not even when I'm searching out the names of the late Queen's two living Corgis.

Incidentally, Muick and Sandy are well and happy, and living in the home of Prince Andrew, Sarah Duchess of York, and five Norfolk Terriers.  

~~~~~

All photos above courtesy of Pixabay.com





Joy doesn't have any Corgis, but she does have a Swiss Mountain Puppy, and a Cowboy who loves them both. She writes and procrastiworks from north of Pigeon Lake, Alberta. Find more of her Joy-infused view on the world at Scraps of Joy.





   

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Joy, for this encouraging word about procrastiworking.

    I'm about to experience the fruit of it. Instead of staying home yesterday to write, I went on an outing with family members. Today my plan is to make up for my lack of writing by tapping into all the inspiration that bubbled to the surface while we were out in nature.

    Thank you also for the update about the Corgis. I've been wondering about them.

    Happy quilting (& writing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being out in nature sparks inspiration in me every time. So glad you got to spend it with family.

      Delete
  2. Love your new term and will adopt it into my vocabulary. Thanks for your wonderfully encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your story of taking a wisdom break, Joy. One author said that after a time away speaking, he came home to dive back into his half-written manuscript. "I actually love this moment," he said. "It’s like coming back to an old friend I haven’t seen for a while. All the changes I’ve identified in my notes, I fix. Then I go back through the story page by page, employing fresh eyes to change what needs to be reworked. On or around the first of June, I’ll finally send the completed draft to my editor."

    You've illustrated this principle perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "wisdom break." I love that term too. Thanks, Sandi.

      Delete
  4. Procrastiworking - what a great word, Joy; such a good descriptor of what's going on when we pause the WIP and work elsewhere for a while. I like the positive spin. It's all part of the process. I recognize myself in your post which, by the way, delighted me to the core. I've followed a few trails about those sweet corgi doggies myself these past weeks. Haha. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, Joy! I am definitely guilty of "procrastiworking" (what a GREAT word!) but I also like how you expressed that doing something creative can actually help in other creative ways. Brilliant! (PS: I also like to quilt!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a way with words and with creating words. Love "procrastiworking."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.