November 15, 2021

Defining Moments - Rights of Passage by Tracy Krauss

I can identify many defining moments in my life, some spiritual, others practical; some painful, and many full of joy. Defining moments are like 'Rights of Passage' that push us forward into a new stage of growth, for better or for worse. I will try to keep my examples writing focused, although I could go down many other rabbit trails. 

Two defining moments for me as a writer happened when I was quite young. The first involved a play I wrote based on a book called Ghosts Don't Eat Sausages. I was in Grade Four at the time. I divvied up parts and convinced my friends to practice during recess. When our teacher discovered what we were doing, she suggested we perform for real in front of the entire school. I remember feeling a lot of frustration with the actors for not knowing their lines, but it must have gone off well enough since we got a highlight in that year's yearbook. It was the first time I felt the overwhelming sense of accomplishment and pride that I later recognized every time I directed a play. Mrs. Sullivan's belief in me was the foundation, I think, for my twenty-year career as a drama teacher and playwright.


Another teacher had a huge impact on my life. During my Grade Twelve year, I wrote a short story for my English Composition class based on events surrounding the economic crash in October of 1929. I'm not sure why I was inspired to write that story, but I do remember being very motivated to write it, even though I felt frustrated at times. There were no computers back then so it was largely handwritten with many scribbled-out sections, arrows, inserts, and the like. I'm not sure I even got around to typing it out, but I do recall the fulfillment I felt while writing--a feeling I still get to this day when I'm clacking away at one of my stories. My teacher, Mr. Meginbir, asked if he could read it to the class. Later, he recommended a writing retreat for young people and gave me a brochure. I didn't go, but the fact that someone thought I had writing talent gave me the confidence to keep on writing. It was the first time I saw myself as a writer. 

There are many more... letting someone read my work for the first time; getting my first rejection letter; getting my first actual feedback instead of just a rejection letter; getting my first book deal; having my first play published; finding an agent... 

But for the purposes of this blog, I'd like to mention attending my first writers' conference. It was in 2010 at Providence Renewal Center in Edmonton. Yes, you guessed it! My first conference was an InScribe conference and it was definitely a defining moment for me. It was the first time I met face to face with other like-minded writers whose faith was an important part of who they were. I remember being in awe of Marcia Laycock, whose work I had read and who I'd seen online. She was hob-nobbing with Rudy Wiebe and Sigmund Brouwer, two of the speakers! Brenda Leyland came alongside and made me feel welcome, drawing me into her circle, even though she, too, was a workshop presenter. My mind was blown by what I learned. I could hardly take it all in! But I also felt welcomed and encouraged--never like I didn't belong. That conference spurred me on to get involved, and the rest is history, as they say. InScribe has been such a blessing to me and I wouldn't have realized just how much had I not attended that first conference.

So, there you have it. From nine-year-old me to fifty-nine-year-old me, I still embrace those special moments in time. They made me halt, pivot, and sometimes go a different direction, but each one has helped define me as a writer.  


Tracy Krauss is the former president of InScribe, a former Drama and Art teacher, a former pastor, and a few other former things not worth mentioning! One thing that isn't in that category is 'Writer' since she continues to write from her home in northern BC. Visit her website for more: https://tracykrauss.com  -fiction on the edge without crossing the line-


14 comments:

  1. Love this post - the Ghosts don't eat sausages story made me chuckle. Hope you can find enough time to keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great little book, and the play I wrote wasn't bad, either. I wish I would have saved it but it was scribbled on individual scraps of paper - no photocopiers back then!

      Delete
  2. Dear Tracy, I enjoyed learning about some of your pivotal writing moments. Your words reminded me of how important feedback from family and teachers are to a young person. You also stirred up some memories I've taken for granted.

    Each word of encouragement matters.

    And this, my friend, is something you're good at. There are many students, I'm sure, you have built up through your words and actions.

    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been privileged over the years to have former students tell me they were encouraged or inspired by something that took place in my classes. I know how important teachers can be in these formative years, so I never took it lightly. Thanks for your encouragement, also!

      Delete
  3. I so enjoyed reading your post, Tracy, and having a peek into your writing journey. For sure I would have wanted to see your play, Ghosts Don't Eat Sausages. And to think it opened the door to your career as a drama teacher and playwright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you, Brenda, for your part in making me feel welcome! Sometimes what seems quite mundane has a huge impact.

      Delete
  4. Love this, Tracy! I can relate to ALL of it! May God grant you many more wonderfully defining moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terrie! And thank you for being such a strong voice and example for Canadian Christian fiction writers.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful journey, Tracy. Although now I am curious about all the ‘other former things not worth mentioning’. May your adventures with words continue and may they continue to be a blessing to others. I know they bless me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, for sharing these divine interventions. Early or late in life, these interventions truly change our lives, if we follow the flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Thanks for reading and commenting

      Delete
  7. Ah, Tracy, I can so relate. I used to entertain the girls at recess by making up hilarious stories. My poor eyesight made it hard to play sports so I gravitated to the girls who were far more civilized than the boys.

    By the way, I just went through a pivotal moment called retirement. Like the Band Crowbar sang back in 1970, "Oh what a feeling. What a rush!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, Bruce! You always have the right song for every occasion!
      I had very poor eyesight as a kid, too (legally blind but not as bad as yours) so I know what you mean about sports. As far as being more civilized, girls often appear that way but can be far more cutting and cruel... Blessings friend!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.