November 23, 2021

BEGIN by Joylene M. Bailey




Image from Pixabay


Many years ago, during a swimming lesson for one of our daughters, I watched each separate class in their designated area of the pool. 

In the shallow end, the littlest swimmers were learning to put their faces in the water. Some caught on right away, dunking under and springing up, while others barely got their noses wet before they surfaced, spluttering and gasping for air.

Down at the deepest end, the most experienced students were pushing off to do their laps, gliding through the water almost effortlessly as their athletic arms sliced through the surface and their pumping legs propelled them forward. 

In the middle section of the pool, several classes were going through their lessons. The teacher would instruct from the edge of the pool while the class held on to the rim and listened. At Go! the swimmers would take off en masse, flailing and splashing in a swarm of pandemonium and body parts.  

Except for one class. 

Over there, the teacher would likewise instruct from the edge of the pool. But then, his swimmers would push off in turn and continue in an orderly fashion to the other side of the pool and back, as each of them practiced the stroke of the moment.

At the end of class time, I commended the instructor on his extremely orderly class.

"I've discovered," he replied, "that there is a world of difference between the words GO and BEGIN. Go implies a race. Begin gives you time to breathe." 

I have thought back on that moment so often. It was like a dozen bells went off in my head.

The world in which we live is a Go! Go! Go! kind of place. Not everything is a race, but it certainly feels that way. If we're not being cajoled into purchasing the latest doodad to keep up with technology lest we be left in the dust, then we're being enticed to engage in this one little thing to lose thirty pounds by Thursday. 

Even our writing lives are not exempt from provocation. Buy this course! Build your platform! Find your followers! Sell more stories!    Go! Go! Go!

I find it all quite paralyzing. 

BEGIN is friendly. It breathes. It lets me think and gives me permission to take my time. BEGIN makes a deadline more neighbourly. 

Not everybody can GO, but anybody can BEGIN.  

That tiny conversation with the swimming instructor completely changed my perspective. Now, anytime I'm feeling paralyzed in my writing I remember to just begin. And everything gets better from there. Maybe this one little word change will help you along in your journey too.

~~~~~




~~~~~




Joy writes from her home in Edmonton, Alberta, where she lives with The Cowboy. She's working on a novel and a memoir, as well as a couple of children's stories for the grandkids. Find more of her writing at Scraps of Joy.




17 comments:

  1. What a defining moment, Joy. I feel it reverberating in my own soul this morning. I have certainly felt the paralyzing effect of that popular command to Go! Go! Go! What a wise swimming instructor.

    Love these two lines: "Not everyone can GO, but anybody can BEGIN." and "Not everything is a race." And I do like that quote you mention of Goethe's.

    A great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. "Begin" definitely lowers my blood pressure. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, dear Joy, for this wonderful reminder that big journeys begin with one small step. Writers who faithfully show up will have something to show for it. It's all about beginning: One word, one sentence, and one page at a time.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and even the most experienced of swimmers begin again every day. Just from a different level. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my word, Joy, I love this post! You had me at, "Begin." There is so much overkill of go, go, go, these days. No wonder our culture seems to have lost the ability to slow down. I am one who enjoys and cherishes time to breathe. I cannot explain the relief your wise words clothe me with. This post is worthy of a HUGE HUG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that HUGE HUG, Alan. Thanks, and hugs to you in return. :)

      Delete
  4. What a simple but profound difference this makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it mind blowing? Such a simple thing.

      Delete
  5. I just love this--both the sentiment, and the beautiful writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement, Belinda. :)

      Delete
  6. Begin “gives me permission to take my time.” A simple word that results in transformation. Love the way your write with such clarity. Thanks so much for this wonderfully encouraging post, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank You for your comment, Sharon. It’s really amazing how one simple word can change everything.

      Delete
  7. How insightful. We do live in a rushed world. Even in our Christian lives, we feel hurried. It's one reason I disliked the end of Sunday service when people switched from worship to visiting. My mind would still be mulling over what I heard. We never seem to do that once we're dismissed. Like children, we race out of the sanctuary and on to the visiting.

    I just watched an episode of Doctor Who where a scientist compressed sleep down to 5 minutes a day. But it created monsters which were out to destroy humanity. Sleep truly is a blessing and in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce, I like your idea of lingering in the sanctuary a little longer, to let things sink in. :)

      Delete
  8. Great thoughts Joy! I will remember to Begin a little more often & less Go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for such an encouraging way to approach our lives and our writing, Joy. I'll remember your words, "Now, anytime I'm feeling paralyzed in my writing I remember to just begin. And everything gets better from there."

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS And thanks for your insight in describing the world of difference between "GO" and "Begin"!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.