May 13, 2019

A Kerfuffle and the Writing Life by Wendy L. Macdonald


One morning in the early 70’s, my younger brother needed me to take over his paper route for the day. I don’t remember if he warned me ahead of time about a potential problem I may encounter while I delivered newspapers door to door; but I did—be still my pounding heart—experience a kerfuffle that ensured I never delivered anything in that neighborhood again.

Before I continue my story, let’s relate this to the writing life…

Encounters of the negative kind can cause a writer’s pen to halt too. I learned the painful way not to subject a manuscript to critiques until it was completed and self-edited a time or two first. Early criticism that doesn’t contain encouragement can kill an author’s motivation to continue a project.

Constructive critiques on a completed manuscript are gold.

For some writers, the first draft needs to be finished before inviting a second set of eyes to read it; this is the best writing advice I’ve ever received because: You can’t edit a blank page. Editing 65,000 words has huge potential for a wonderful product being produced. Secrecy while writing the first draft is my secret to successfully completing it. 

Thankfully, I have completed several manuscripts since then. And I enjoyed keeping them private until my pen was put to rest. Then, I allowed the first draft to rest too. You can’t count on being an objective editor until you’ve had a chance to forget much of what you’ve written.

If you’re curious about what happened when I invited some critiques of an unfinished story, here’s the link on my own blog site: Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Critique? 

Now, let’s get back to the morning I delivered my brother’s newspapers:

I wasn’t a morning person in my younger years. Coffee has helped me embrace early hours now; however, back then, I was barely awake as I road my bicycle with a newspaper bag hung over half of me. The lethargy didn’t last long though…

A big, black, barking dog appeared on the road behind me. He chased me. He nipped at my feet. I pedaled faster than I ever have before. I was active in track and field, not cycling; however, I eventually escaped the dog and completed delivering the newspapers.

Whatever we’re called by God to deliver, we must not give up. We need to pedal our pens across the pages of a first draft before we subject it to potential barks or praise. Good critiques should cause us to experience revelations of how to make it better rather than suffer trepidations and a desire to quit.

Anne Lamott puts it this way in her book, Bird by Bird:

You don't want to spend your time around people who make you hold your breath.  
               
I’m nosy-to-know what writing book has helped you the most? 

Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings,
 because we know that suffering produces perseverance. 
Romans 5:3 NIV      

Blessings ~ Wendy Mac   
 

12 comments:

  1. We need to pedal our pens across the page....I love that! I'm glad you out pedalled that dog! I'm slowly learning the lesson to just write the manuscript without anyone else knowing as somehow it also takes the pressure off, and I'm will most likely complete it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Lynn. I definitely prefer no pressure writing too. Responding to writing prompts for blog posts is one type of writing pressure I do enjoy as long as there's lot of wiggle room regarding the topic.
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  2. Great advice on holding off asking for early critiques before you've done the first one or two self-editing passes. I love Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird as my writing inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Anne's honesty is refreshing and encouraging. Her wonderful sense of humour is a bonus too.
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Tracy. I still remember the fear I felt when that dog chased me. It's not unlike receiving a harsh critique. :)
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  4. As a first-time, soon-to-be-published author, my very patient and encouraging publisher has been my greatest writing inspiration. I’d also love to hear of any writing books that others have been inspired by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessings on your book launch, dear Caran. :) How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your question on the writing book that has helped the most, Wendy. As soon as I read it I knew it would be a good prompt for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sandi. I can't wait to read which writing books others recommend.
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  7. Thanks for advising us not to share our story idea until we have at least a credible first draft written. More than once, I have opened the biggest aperture on my face too soon. Soon I feel the stress of what I said I would do, but don’t have the time, stamina, or wherewithal to do in the foreseeable future. Then I feel like I have a big black dog chasing and barking at me. When will I learn not to take that route again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you worded that, dear Sharon. I keep a file of story ideas that won't leave me alone. I may not have time for them yet, but at least the elevator pitch for them is written to remind me they're waiting for me.
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.