May 22, 2018

Writing Is Like A Puppy by Alan Anderson




I love dogs. I love holding a puppy and even smelling puppy breath. My writing is like a puppy. You ask, “What do you mean?” That’s a good question. Here is why I liken my writing to a puppy.


As a dog lover it is wonderful to see a puppy grow into a healthy mature adult dog. It’s fun to watch puppies gain their confidence in walking and running. They also have little “accidents” as they are growing up. You may know what I mean.


I’m still growing as a writer. Like a growing pup I can have a writer’s “accidents.” These are things like too many “ly” or using “ing” words too often in my writing.


A puppy need not be a pure bred for me to love it. The sweetest dog I ever had in my life was a Border Collie Spaniel cross. She was one of my best friends. She had the personality of a working dog as well as a companion dog. She would embrace life with gusto during the day and snuggle on my easy chair with me in the evening.


I don’t worry about my writing being a pure bred either. What I mean is, I don’t class myself as a fiction or non-fiction writer, I just write. I love to write about real life that may appear dark or somber with a gleam of hope ahead. That is what my blog Scarred Joy is all about. Scarred joy is like my working dog writing so to speak.


I also love to write stories based on real life experiences. Right now I’m working on a story of a young boy with a rare illness. In addition I have another story of a boy and his grandfather. It is about their relationship as grandfather lives in the fog of Alzheimer’s disease. I want to write this story as one suitable for children. Both these stories may be like a companion dog writing.


It’s fun to play with a puppy and see her or him run after a ball and catch it. One of the dogs I loved became skilled at catching Frisbees. As she became older she had more injuries and we had to stop playing Frisbee. My pup had grown old. She lived a long life for a dog. I was with her during all the chapters of her life right to the final sentence.


If God grants me more years and to experience old age here is what I hope and pray for. If the day comes I can no longer hold a pen I pray I can look back on words I have written and know they brought comfort to broken hearts.


I also pray I will have crossed the paths of other writers and played with them. In other words, I like to have a writing buddy. I like to know other writers. My present writing buddy and I have never met in person. We exchange emails and send each other pieces of our writing to critique. It is a lot of fun. My writing buddy is precious to me.


When my days are done I pray my writing will have matured and been noticed by those who hurt yet see hope ahead. Just like an old faithful dog I pray I will have made a difference in the lives of people. That’s what a good dog does.




Blog: scarredjoy.wordpress.com

6 comments:

  1. Confession time... I am NOT dog lover (or animals of any kind, really) BUT I loved this post! I loved the metaphor of puppy 'accidents' (who hasn't been there?!) or of the idea of 'pure bred' writers. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your confession about animals Tracy. I still love you! :) I appreciate your encouraging comment.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I would never have thought of writing being like a puppy. Kudo's for a creative post. Your love for dogs and writing comes through naturally. I think you could actually build on this blog post. ie. puppies (and writers) who bury their bones in the back yard and then forget where they've buried them lol. I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria. It was fun writing this puppy post. :) Thank you for encouraging me. I appreciate your suggestion re building on the post. Our InScribe blog is a great way to be creative. Blessings on you my friend.

      Delete
  3. I love dogs! They have so much character. One of my favourite lines in this post is, "I also pray I will have crossed the paths of other writers and played with them." Writing buddy's are a tremendous asset to have. Yep - precious too!! But your last paragraph really sums up your character. Just know that you are well on your way to making a difference in people's lives. You truly are a good writer, someone who cares for others and faithful friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vickie! You touch my heart with your encouragement. I'm happy we are writing buddies. :) Writers need each other in various ways. If nothing else we can let each other know we are not alone in our calling. Thank you for being a cheerleader. I am one for you too.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.