December 13, 2013

Merry Christmas! Or is it? -- by T.L. Wiens

Merry Christmas!

How can two words create such controversy? Quite by accident, I sent out a Christmas greeting to a large group when I hit “reply all” instead of “reply to sender.” It was a Christian group so I shrugged and thought it would be fine. I was so wrong!

The letters started to come in—nasty letters condemning my wishing of blessing as the world stops to celebrate. I want to be clear—my original note was in praise of Jesus Christ and my thankfulness for His gift to us of His life.

The Bible doesn’t in any way command us to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. I accept if others don’t want to but what I don’t understand is why they hinder those of us who do want to set apart a time to remember Jesus’ coming to earth. I think it’s kind of sad when the people who talk to me about being upset about Christ being taken out of Christmas are not followers of Christ. I think it’s sad that we as believers aren’t out there sharing salvation at a time when the world stops to consider a baby in a manger who became the man Jesus Christ, Savior of the world. I fear it will be Christians who stop the world from these considerations.

So, I wish all you in the Inscribe family a Merry Christmas! I pray it will be a time to remember a gift that yes, we should remember with joy every day we live and take the time during the Christmas season to stop and just praise God for His goodness and mercy while the world is watching.



7 comments:

  1. I don't quite understand why they would be upste. I appreciate your greetings for a Merry Christmas! As busy as the season can be, we don't ever want to miss the fact that we are celebrating Jesus Son of God coming to earth to save us from our sins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I can't understand that at all. I wish Merry Christmas to everyone. Sometime they say, Happy Holidays back. But I am not going to listen to the world. I will listen to Jesus Who has conquered the world. He is and will be forever.
    Yes we celebrate Jesus - His birth, His life and His Resurrection. Praise be to God.
    Thanks for this reminder to say Merry Christmas to all.
    blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very strange reaction from Christians and I wonder what's really going on under the surface of those criticisms of your e-mail. Oh well - I say a huge "AMEN" to your determination to keep Christ in the midst of all the "holly jolly" at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!
    Bring you Good wishes of happiness.

    Sorry for greeting you earlier,, just don't want miss saying this.
    By the way, I'm clotee. It's my first time visiting your blog. I am blogger too, and now try my best luck to open an e-store. Nice to know you.

    Regards,
    Clotee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the Christians I know who banish Christmas have their reasons--they believe it's a pagan celebration (winter solstice) or they come from a family where the Christ aspect of Christmas has been left out.
    Yes Jesus is God and He is also the Son of God.
    Welcome Clotee. Inscribe Blog has many authors and I'm glad to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is often the one time of year when we can get away with a message like that even in a secular forum. It is unfortunate that you had such a response. I even noticed in a few movies I've watched recently that they talk about 'faith' and showed a nativity etc... Oh well. As long as we keep celebrating the reason for the season - no one can stop us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas, Tammy! I'm glad we can still share this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.