December 09, 2013

It's Just Too Awesome - Shirley S. Tye

The song Mary Did You Know brought tears to my eyes the other day as I listened to it. What was it that touched me that way?

I tried to image standing in Mary’s place, holding the little helpless baby; that little someone who was totally dependent upon others for everything; and yet He was the Great I Am. It must have been awesome to hold Jesus like that and even more awesome to follow His life day by day; to see Him grow up in the same manner as most humans; and later witness the miracles He preformed; listen to His teachings; and see the crowds of people following Him.

But while Jesus was in that baby form, did Mary really know who he was; did she fully understand? I don’t know if I would have been able to completely comprehend that my little baby would grow up to do such great things; restore sight to the blind and hearing to the deaf and voices to the mute; strengthen the limbs of the lame; heal people of various illnesses, and even raise the dead. Would I have believed that He was Lord of all creation? What thoughts would have run through my mind as I kissed His cheek? It’s just too awesome!

Did Mary know what gruesome death He would suffer? That’s what brought the tears to my eyes. I can’t image raising a child while knowing this bit of information. What horrendous agony that must have been to watch her child, then a young man, tormented and executed. Yet this was God’s plan of salvation for everyone. It’s just too awesome!





3 comments:

  1. Shirley, This song usually brings tears to my eyes too. It's so haunting and beautiful and wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are singing this song as part of a cantata that we in St. Anne's are singing jointly with the United Church. What a beautiful song it is for making us think about the whole story of Jesus coming to earth to die for us.

    Maybe God taught Mary to savour the present instead of worrying about the future. Maybe he only revealed as much as she needed to know at the time. Still I'm sure she gleaned insight along the way that Jesus was one special human being and also a very special Son of God.

    Just thinking, Shirley. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful song and a refreshing change from some of the other carols that get overused

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.