October 24, 2013

Self Promotion - Should I or Shouldn't I? by Lynn Dove

Since becoming a published author in 2009, I have learned that to get my books noticed I MUST get them into the public eye.  To do that, I use social networking (Facebook, Twitter, Google and more) to attain a world-wide audience.  That said, I still cringe a little every time I have to "blow my own horn" about my books and my writing ability.

Every author will tell you that self-promotion is a major key to a good book-marketing strategy.  Readers buy books that are well reviewed and are highly visible in the marketplace.  They also buy books if they know an author (or think they know an author), and the best way to get that kind of notice is to gain some kind of a following online.  Writing a blog for me has become serious business.  It is hard work but it showcases my writing ability and it allows the reader to step into my world and become my "friend".  For me, it is a great way to personally interact with potential readers of my books.

Still, although I know self-promotion is an imperative strategy for good marketing, as a Christian author this kind of conduct can go against the call to be humble in all circumstances.  "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you."  James 4:10; " Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you."  1 Peter 5:6; "But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” James 4:6 are only a few verses that admonish and instruct followers of Christ about remaining humble. 

How can you be humble and still self-promote?  Give all the glory to God. 

I was recently interviewed after my books received recognition for winning an international book award contest.  During the conversation with the reporter I made a point of saying that any praise and honour must go to God first, Who gifted me with my writing ability.  I thank Him for the honour of allowing me to write in the first place.  Praising God for directing my steps throughout my writing career, I know that if it were not for Him opening doors for me and directing me to people who have mentored and encouraged me, I would not have these writing opportunities before me now.



Lynn Dove calls herself a Christ-follower, a wife, a mom, a grandmother, a teacher and a writer (in that order). She is the author of award winning books: The Wounded Trilogy. Her blog, Journey Thoughts won a Canadian Christian Writing Award - 2011. She has also had essays published in "Mother of Pearl: Luminous Lessons and Iridescent Faith" and "Chicken Soup for the Soul - Parenthood" (March 2013),  Devotional Stories for Wives: 101 Daily Devotions to Comfort, Encourage, and Inspire You (Sept. 2013) O Canada The Wonders of Winter: 101 Stories about Bad Weather, Good Times, and Great Sports (Nov. 2013) and Miracles Happen: 101 Inspirational Stories about Hope, Answered Prayers, and Divine Intervention (Feb. 14).  She was most recently awarded Literary Classics International Book Awards - Seal of Approval and Silver Medal in Young Adult Faith-based fiction for her book Love the Wounded.  Readers may connect with Lynn on Facebook, Twitter and on her blog: Journey Thoughts 

2 comments:

  1. This feeling is such a big one for most Christian authors. yet I love your conclusion - when given the opportunity, give the praise to God. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for articulating this struggle that many Christian writers share. I don't know any more answers than you gave - and yours is a good one. I suppose that, if we are humble before God in our hearts, that will come through in what we say and do too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.