October 03, 2013

Are You Stretching Your Faith? - Janis Cox



I do morning stretches for about 15 minutes every morning. My back depends on this. As I stretch I pray for each member of my family.

Physical fitness is important but spiritual fitness is more important.

How can I become spiritually fit? Here are five ways that I think will help anyone to stretch their faith.

1.  Prayer:


In acknowledging God by talking and listening to Him, we bridge that gap between us. So remember to open the door and have a conversation.

2. Read your Bible:


I remember when I couldn't understand the Bible at all. It read like a foreign language. A friend suggested that I ask God to reveal His Word to me. So the next time I opened my Bible I prayed, "Help me Lord to understand Your Word". And He did.

I would suggest starting with the Gospel of John. Then read through the Psalms. I always stop to highlight what is getting my attention in that moment. Then you can think about that throughout the day.


3. Memorize a passage of Scripture:


 I know that for some of us we think that our memorizing days are over. However once again if you ask God He will give you the ability to memorize. Pick a Scripture that is the most meaningful to you. Write it down. Put it by your computer. Carry it with you. But keep repeating it. Then you will have it bound around your neck and written on the tablet of your heart (Proverbs 3:3)

4. Join a Bible Study: 


Working alongside friends helps us to affirm our faith. Questions that need answers can be found. Each study bring us further along in our faith.

5. Appreciate every moment of the day:


 Live each moment. Go outside. Help a friend. Stop to chat. Follow God's leading.

What are other way we can become spiritually fit? Which do find easiest? Which is the hardest?


Janis Cox

Janis Cox - Author and Illustrator
Janis, a retired school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. A writer since 2003, Janis co-ordinates a group blog called Under the Cover of Prayer. She is also a contributor to a group blog called Family and Faith Matters.

Janis is the author of the award winning children’s book, Tadeo Turtle, published by Word Alive Press. She is the author and watercolour illustrator. For more information visit Janis on her website He Cares for You. She is a member of The Word Guild and Inscribe Writers Fellowship.

5 comments:

  1. Simple, but very wise advice. It may not sound glamorous and exciting in a world that demands novelty and the next "new" thing, but these are the basics of maturing in Christ. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent advice. I love the idea of praying while stretching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marcia and Tracy,
    It may sound simple but it isn't is it? Some may consider it boring? But when God is in the midst it is entirely exciting!
    Have a great weekend.
    Blessings
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:30 am GMT-7

    Thank you for this Beautiful post! I'm so glad that I found your blog!
    Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indigo,
    I am happy to meet you and thank you for your encouragement.
    Many blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.