April 19, 2011

Thomas - Ruth Sakstad


At the beginning of April, Brenda Leyland challenged us to think about who would be our favorite person involved in the Easter story.

Of course Jesus is the person whom the story revolves around and were it not for Him there would be no story.

But the person I most relate to is Thomas (or Doubting Thomas). I understand Thomas' reluctance to believe what the other disciples said about Jesus being alive. Some times I feel the same way. I want to see and touch Jesus to help me believe that He really is there and cares about me. I talk to other believers who have seen Jesus working in their lives and I feel jealous because it seems like He doesn't show Himself to me in similar ways.

Even though I don't see Jesus in the ways I think He should show Himself to me, I still want to say with Thomas, "My Lord and my God!" Because that is who He is.

Be blessed this Easter season.

Ruth Sakstad

5 comments:

  1. very good! You said a lot in a few words.
    Pam M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth:
    I sympathize. I'm not a "feeling" sort of person, and have to rely on an infusion of God's Word for assurance.
    Most of us have doubts, especially when the difficult questions arise.
    But a lifetime of experience of God's grace also helps. I'm more sure of His presence and care the older I get!
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have a bit of the 'Thomas' in us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your thoughts remind me of something Jesus said to Thomas, 'Because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.' John 20:29

    You mention that you don't see Jesus the way you'd like, yet still you can triumphantly say, "My Lord and my God"....

    Personally, I think you're spades ahead of Thomas!

    BTW, I'm with Pam... good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this short but large piece of encouragement. Doubting is just one more evidence of our two natures - the flesh fighting against the Spirit. Praise God, because of His resurrection, Jesus wins.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.