June 08, 2018

Doing Your Creative Best by Karma Pratt


Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life. Galatians 6:4-5 (The Message) 


I cut these verses out of a pamphlet for a weekend retreat over four years ago and have carried them with me ever since. The Message translation really stood out to me and these verses have guided me as I've traveled the writer's path. 



As Christian writers, we are on call to write the words God gives us in whatever form they may take. This is why it's so important to "make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given..." It takes time to dig deep into the calling on your life. It takes time and dedication. You must commit your life to God, asking Him for clarity, wisdom and discernment. If you are called to create as a writer, God will guide your steps. You, in turn, have to continue taking the next right step as you go. 

The next right step, according to Galatians 6:4 is to "sink yourself into that" (aka the work you've been given). Walking out our faith as writers can take the form of pen to paper, stylus to tablet, or keyboard to screen. No matter what tool you choose, know that you honour God every time you practice your craft. 

The next two sentences just wreck me every time I think of them. 

"Don't be impressed with yourself." In other words, stay humble. There's no need to get big-headed. It's God working in you, not the other way around. Your value as a writer is not determined by numbers of books sold, or amount of engagement on your platform. It's not about you and that's okay. That's exactly as it should be. 

Along that vein, it's not about anyone else either. We are told to not compare ourselves with others. The comparison trap can create doubts in our hearts and minds. We can succumb to the lie that we don't measure up, or that we somehow don't have anything worth contributing. Here's the truth: God gave you a gift and lit a spark inside of you that only you can fan into flame. Your unique experiences have helped shape your writing. It's not necessary to worry about what others may or may not be writing about. Your words are exactly what God wants you to dedicate yourself to.

"Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life."

We are called to partner with God in this life, to walk with Him on our journey. The Holy Spirit moves in and through us to guide our creative endeavors. It's up to us to give our best everyday. When we pour out the gifts we've been given, we honour God, and allow Him to multiply our efforts.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than than all we ask or imagine, according to his power at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. - Ephesians 3:20-21 (NIV)

***

Karma writes from the golden house in Northeastern BC. You can connect with her online at redraincoatcreations.com

5 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this verse, especially in this version. I remember you shared it with me a(bout three years ago - and then again recently in a card... ) and I have it on my bulletin board to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently God wanted to remind us both about this! Lol :) It has been on my heart often

      Delete
  2. Karma, Your post speaks to me today. I can see why you’ve been carrying around that retreat pamphlet. I would be too. Those words speak deeply to me. And your post speaks to me as well. It’s beautifully written and my heart sings when I read it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely, Karma. Thank you for sharing this verse as written in The Message. This verse and what you said are so clear and meaningful to me. I am at a certain stage in my life when I am not sure exactly what I can accomplish in life or in my writing, but thankfully God knows. I trust him to urge me on in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Karma that is one of my favourite verses as well, especially in the Message-I've cut and taped it up as well. The part about not comparing ourselves with others strikes a deep resonance for me. Thanks for this post!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.