June 19, 2018

My Head is dead, but yet I live by Eunice Matchett


A few days ago, while we were on a wee trip through British Colombia, hidden among all the natural beauty, an evergreen tree struggled to exist.  Or so I thought. On a closer look, although its crown was brown and brittle, the lower half of the tree had branches that were lush and green. As it disappeared behind us, my mind went on a side trip.

Wind, storms, or rockslides could have battered the tree when it was tiny, and to the naked eye, killed it. But… beneath the ground there must be a tenacious root system that refused to give up.

I thought of my own life and compared it to that two-toned evergreen. Storms that buffeted me, the fallen rocks on which I’ve stumbled, came and went again. In the midst of these trials I was driven to my knees. And it was on my knees when my root system grew, and new sprouts shot up.

Regardless of the mistakes I’ve made, God provided a fresh start just as he did for that tree. Consequences of the wrong directions I’ve taken throughout my life remain as the dead crown, reminding me of the destruction my unthought out actions caused, but they don’t hinder my growth.

On my own, I know I would have ended up like that dry, brittle, treetop, but thankfully, my existence does not depend on my own abilities. My heavenly father has established an unmovable root system within me, and although I stumble and fall, when I clue in again, a new sprout shoots upward making me stronger.  

5 comments:

  1. Another lovely story Eunice! Thanks for your encouraging words...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eunice, I laughed out loud with your title-great analogy in your post. I also marvel at the way trees hold on under incredible duress,bend under heavy snow and then sometimes they topple over. And often I wonder how they can seemingly grow out of a rock :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are such an amazing creation. They keep us warm, they keep us cool, and they beautify our world. Ty for commenting

      Delete
  3. Excellent use of extended metaphor. Thanks for this great reminder that we need to fall on our knees. I love this part: "And it was on my knees when my root system grew, and new sprouts shot up."

    From that line came the words from they hymn, "Dwelling Place," which begins, "I fall on my knees to the Father of Jesus. . ." For copyright reasons, I won't include it all here. One of the verses says, "May Christ in his love/give us strength for our living/the strength of the Spirit/the glory of God.

    If you'd like to listen to this, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VqtL8xZf5M

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.