May 09, 2023

Writing Engineers by Joylene M Bailey

 


Image by Hulki Okan Tabak from Pixabay


~~~~~

I have three brothers. One is a civil engineer, one graduated in engineering physics, and one is a high school math and physics teacher. They are structure and architecture, calculation and precision. Is it any wonder they look at me in bewilderment when I start gabbing on about artistry and intuition?

I'm an intuitive writer (what some people call a pantser - never been a fan of that censorious term). Yet, there is an aspect of engineering involved in writing, even for intuitives like me. There is structure in story, architecture in character arc, precision in plot. And I don't have to use math to get there, thank the heavens above!!

When I look at the architecture of Westminster Abbey, gloriously on show this past weekend for the coronation of King Charles III, I'm dumbfounded by the precision and skill it took several architects, over hundreds of years, to complete. That's Engineering with a capital E.

I don't know of a book, other than the Bible, that took hundreds of years to complete, but I am aware that it took Pulitzer Prize winning author Anthony Doerr 10 years to finish his novel, All the Light We Cannot See. And it's a pretty magnificent read. Imagine the attention to detail it took to erect such an edifice.

~~~~~


Image by Lars Nissen from Pixabay

I'm not really going for the Westminster Abbey version of engineering in my writing. I'd be happy with a carefully crafted little structure that stands the test of time; somewhere readers can come to be encouraged and seen. The intuitive writer in me wants to get it all down, let the story tell itself, which is great. But I need to remind myself that a good story - the best story - also has a solid foundation, a framework and design that won't cave in. It needs good engineering.

~~~~~


A book that inspired this intuitive writer to consider becoming an engineer is Story Engineering by Larry Brooks. My copy is completely marked up and corner-folded, which tells you something because I seldom mark up a book. I also have his companion book, Story Physics, which I haven't yet finished.




*****


Joy is thankful to be (almost) recovered from the dreaded virus, which stole the entire month of April. How wonderful to be writing again, and enjoying her country home, where she lives with The Cowboy, Chara the dog, and Rhubarb the cat. Find more of her Joy-infused writing at Scraps of Joy

16 comments:

  1. What a great post today, Joy! You reminded us that even though we might be pantsers as we write, we need good engineering--a solid design, foundation and framework. Thanks also for your book recommendations. I, too, have found "Story Engineering" very helpful--must read it again..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi. Yes I found the book so easy to understand and follow.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this wonderful post, Joy. So happy you are feeling better and have regained healthy and strength to write again. Thanks as well for the book recommendations. I find it so interesting that your brothers are all mathematically and structurally inclined. I wish the detailed architecture of the past was more evident in the construction of today. It is truly extraordinary in its design and longevity. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. I chatted with my brothers after writing this, and they all agreed that though they all went into fields of math and engineering, they all come at it as very different men, with different perspectives and ways of using it. Interesting.

      Delete
  3. A beautifully engineered post, Joy! Enjoyed it. And I'm delighted to hear about two books by an author unfamiliar to me - shall have to seek them out. Had a chance to visit Westminster Abbey during our England trip a few years ago. So awe inspiring as I tried to imagine the engineering involved in building that great edifice all those centuries ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you spend hours in Westminster Abbey? I'd love to visit it in person and I know I'd want to explore every single nook and cranny (but probably wouldn't be allowed haha).

      Delete
  4. Love these analogies, Joy! And the book suggestions look excellent, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. Yes, the books are definitely worth the study.

      Delete
  5. Hi Joy! I didn't know you have been ill. I do hope you are feeling much better. Your post is such a healthy boost to this reader. Like you I am much more an intuitive than an engineer. I shudder to think what would happen if I were let lose with an engineering project. Oh my, what a nightmare it would be.
    I echo you statement, "I'd be happy with a carefully crafted little structure that stands the test of time; somewhere readers can come to be encouraged and seen." This statement reminds me of how the world needs writers, poets, and other creatives to free people from being too rigid and expectant in how life is lived. These days I am reading a book by a poet called, "The Poetry Home Repair Manual," by Ted Kooser. The author wrote the book a few years ago, but it but he takes a wonderful to what poetry is all about.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us once again, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, I'm doing so much better these days, thank you! And I'm glad to have the encouragement of another intuitive writer. Indeed, the world needs us! That poetry book sounds good, I'm going to look it up.

      Delete
  6. A well-structured post, Joy! Great analogies and examples. Now, do I want to write a "Westminster Abbey" or a cottage on a lake? Both are lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorrie. And absolutely, both are lovely ... I suppose it depends on what you're in the mood for. :)

      Delete
  7. This was delightful, dear Joy. I'm glad you're feeling better too.
    These lovely words made me tear up with agreement: "...somewhere readers can come to be encouraged and seen."
    (You did this well in this blog post.)
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy, for your heart-filling words and encouragement. I'm blessed by them.

      Delete
  8. Joy, I loved the tie in with the King's coronation. And thank you for the book recommend - Story Engineering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are very welcome, Bob. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.