May 18, 2023

Embrace Hopeful Eloquence by Alan Anderson

 

“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.”—Hebrews 11:1, 2 (NIV)

 

Communicate with Eloquence

 

I do not find writing easy. I also do not find public speaking to be without challenges either. What I mean by this is whenever I communicate through words, I hope people will embrace the message presented to them. This includes writing or public speaking, reading poetry or storytelling to a small group, etc. For this to happen, I cannot just throw words on to a page and hope for the best. I need to work hard on the piece I write. Word choice, grammar, punctuation, flow, tone, clear thoughts, etc. are all to be used to present a coherent eloquent message.

 

For people to embrace our words, the message is to be one of eloquence. An eloquent message may not always be accepted, but it must always be understood. Eloquence is never out of date.

 

Here is one example of the need for eloquence. These days I often cringe when I listen to certain public figures present to the public. Using empty utterances like “um,” “ah,” “ya know,” weakens not only their message, but may also question the skills of the presenter. This is not to judge the character of the speaker, but to refer to the need for eloquence.

 

Embrace Your Words, Be Eloquent

 

From a personal point of view, I need to know why I write as I aim for eloquence. A main reason I write is to give or offer hope to people. To do this, I must know I live a life of hope. As I live a life of hope, I can offer articulate, thoughtful words readers will embrace.

 

I do not accept my words until they have created a piece I am pleased with. Through revision, for instance, I can reach a more articulate way of expressing what I want to say. I can then embrace the words as they are sent into the world for readers.

 



Embrace Thoughtful Eloquence

 

Life in Western countries seems to be strained these days. Eloquence also seems to be strained. Skilled, persuasive speakers and writers, at least for the moment, are in great need within our society.

 

Eloquence and hope are a must in our day and every day. Eloquence isn’t just a fancy word but can be a force for civilized change or societal division. In this time of all too many negative narratives spewed loud and clear, people need hope. Let us, as writers, embrace eloquence.

 

Hopeful Eloquence

 

I am not one who focuses on the power of positive thinking, but I do give a high regard to hopeful eloquence. I cling to a hopeful expectation God will never leave His people. An anticipation of hope showing its lovely face despite one’s circumstance. Hope in the absoluteness of the love of God. Hope in the fact the people we love and strangers we meet, matter and always will.

 

Beloved writer family, write with the eloquence of hope. You see, hope is in you. Every single letter, word, sentence, paragraph, article, book, poem, play, you write, is full of hope. A hope given by God so real even the powerful eloquent allure of world leaders falls into the dust.

 


A Few Concluding Points About Eloquence

The following points can refer to our writing as well as public speaking:


o  Know why you write or participate in public speaking.

o  Be clear in what you write.

o  Write with persuasion.

o  Think about what you want to say or write, then write your message.

o  People may not agree with you but offer your message anyway.

o  Communicate with confidence and commitment.

o  Remember, be eloquent and give people hope.

 


Alan lives in Deroche, B.C. with his wife, Terry, and their poodle, Charlie. He contributed stories to Good Grief People by Angel Hope Publishing, 2017; Story by Story: The Power of a Writer, Unstoppable Writers Publishing, 2018; Easter Stories & More by InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship, 2021. He is currently working on a book expressing the grief of grieving grandparents entitled “Hidden Poetic Voices: A Reflective Work of Grief, Faith, and Poetry.” Alan periodically writes articles for FellowScript Magazine. He has written posts for our InScribe blog since 2015. He is the Writing Group Coordinator for InScribe. Blog: https://scarredjoy.ca.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Alan, for this eloquent reminder to share hope with eloquence. InScribers do this well on this blog. It's a joy to be part of this community. These words of yours powerfully spell how we can eloquently shine hope in a hope-deprived world: "As I live a life of hope, I can offer articulate, thoughtful words readers will embrace."
    Amen and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! I agree with you. Our bloggers are indeed eloquent and dedicated to the call of God on their lives.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:42 am GMT-7

    Elizabeth Danna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:43 am GMT-7

    Thanks Alan for the reminder to take the time to make ourselves clear, whether we're speaking with voice or with pen,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, eloquence fits in with voice and pen.

      Delete
  4. Eloquence is so important! Thank you for this thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Tracy. I always appreciate your encouragement.

      Delete
  5. Hi Alan. A thought filled post. I agree that eloquence is essential. The bullet points “People may not agree with you but offer your message anyway” and “Remember, be eloquent and give people hope” struck a chord with me. Also, I am wondering who the lovely young girl is that is in your opening picture, if you don’t mind me asking. She looks absolutely full of joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! Thank you for your kind comments. The lovely young girl is my granddaughter, Whitney. The photo was taken about three years ago. She is eleven years fun now. Whitney has a number of complex medical needs including down syndrome, she is on the lower autism spectrum, a weak heart and lungs, a sensory disorder, non-verbal, and a few other health challenges. She has a lot of struggles but absolutely loves life. When she isn't feeling ill she is off the charts fun. She is my Warrior Princess and I love her beyond words.

      Delete
  6. What an inspiring post, Alan! I love your theme of eloquence and hope. These words resonated with me as you encouraged us to "write with the eloquence of hope...hope is in you. Every single letter, word, sentence, paragraph, article, book, poem, play, you write, is full of hope." Your writing illustrates those concepts beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.