May 12, 2023

Empty by Sharon Heagy


 

Empty. That’s the way my head feels at the moment. Void of thought like my brain has packed its bag and moved to a better climate. One where ideas flow like waterfalls tumbling over rocks. They come so fast that they are nothing but a turbulent mess, but oh what a frenzy in which to be enfolded. What a glorious problem to have - too many ideas.  I visualize my brain lounging in a deck chair, cold drink and a long straw, maybe one of those little bamboo umbrellas and a slice of pineapple. “Ahhh” it sighs, basking in the glow of ideas. (Secretly I hope it gets brain freeze from the icy beverage. Desert me will ya.) 

 

But right now, I am staring at the screen and even the cursor has quit flashing, bored from lack of activity. In the silence every sound seems magnified. The wind sounds like it wants to reach through the crack of the window and tousle my hair and play with the papers on my desk, throwing them up in a whirlwind like the dry leaves of fall. It would exit the way it came in, laughing like a child full of joy, leaving me rumpled, glasses and hair askew but with a slight grin as its joy infects me too. 

 

I hear the planes from the training base in Moose Jaw flying overhead. Many times, I run outside and wave like crazy and often they respond in their next pass, tipping their wings as they go by. Probably having a laugh at the crazy old lady on her front lawn flailing her arms around. I call them ‘my boys’. “My boys are out today!” I yell to my husband as I vanish out the front door, hoping not to miss them. 

 

There is a cat padding by and a huff from our horse of a dog as he changes position in the middle of his afternoon nap. Two clocks compete for the loudest ticking sound. They are in time with each other, albeit on opposite beats musically. 

 

Not every day of writing flows. Sometimes it’s a bit jerky, a word here, a thought there. Oft times they are random and disjointed, but it’s important to keep going, to do the work. Like Watty Piper’s train in “The Little Engine That Could” – ‘I think I can, I think I can.’ And you can, and you will, if you just persevere. That’s what I tell myself and believe it. Or at least try to believe it. Oh, Lord, squash my unbelief.

 

But I think I need to go now and ask the Lord to help me find my brain so that the echo in my head ceases. And I know He will because He is faithful and has helped me find so many lost things. He excels with the lost. If I am honest with myself, it is He who has given me these words so that I wouldn’t have to submit a blank screen. And if I wait patiently and keep writing, words will flow once again as He provides them.

 

“But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Saviour; my God will hear me.”

Micah 7:7

12 comments:

  1. How true are your words, Sharon! Sometimes our minds buzz with so many ideas, and other times it is running on empty, or we are distracted by many other things. You reminded me of something the Lord has been teaching me--when we sit with Him, waiting in silence, all the other distracting voices fade away and we can hear what He wants to say to us--and what He wants us to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi. I agree that silence is important in order to hear. Sometimes easier said than done to get that inner chatter to stop but oh so necessary.

      Delete
  2. Loved this, Sharon! If this is what lovely stuff your brain finds to write about on an empty day, I am eager to see what emerges on a more fullsome day. Thanks so much for the lightness and joy that fell from your words as I read. I love to imagine that you are that near to 'the boys' and that you can wave and they see you! Happy Spring Friday! Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda, for your wonderfully encouraging words. They are deeply appreciated.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS!!!!! You are so clever with your use of descriptive metaphors and the touch of ironic humour is magnificent! Empty indeed! This post is a GEM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thanks, Tracy! Such kind and generous words. Very encouraging. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Nicely done, dear Sharon. You showed up and squashed the blank screen.

    Oh my, this prayer is one I need a lot: "Oh, Lord, squash my unbelief."

    Blessings as God continues to provide you with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Wendy. I hope your trip went well and that you were at peace. Welcome back.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, Sharon. It crossed my mind that because you have been faithful in the full times, your words come across with beauty even in your empty times, with a carefree joy, and a trust that all is NOT wrong or lost. Simply lovely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Joy. Words of encouragement like these help one to carry on. Onward and upward, trusting Him. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "empty" feels like my full, Sharon. Love your style and turn of a phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Bob, for your encouraging words and for taking the time out of your busy day to read and comment. It is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.