May 25, 2023

E is for Enjoyment - Gloria Guest


  

The letter 'E' felt like an enemy and not my friend this month, when I was trying to decide what to post about. So many 'E' words seemed fitting; editing, encouragement, enthusiasm, escape ( I had some good ideas for that one - that may be shared in another post sometime, but it didn't come together for this one). Most of my ideas for 'E' words were already taken in some fantastic posts; yes I know we can use the same word but I tend to try not to. 

My growing frustration with finding an appropriate 'E' word to write about, finally led me to ask, just why I write in the first place. It can be frustrating, hard, brain draining, frightening and so many other difficult things! So why do I write? 

For the sheer Enjoyment of it, basically. And there was my 'E' word.

Although I might think I don't enjoy the above hard parts of writing, it's a fact, that I actually do. I enjoy the challenge of it; the feeling I get when I scale that hard fought for writers wall, the sense that the hard work was worth sharing my words with others.

Beyond the hard parts though, I just enjoy everything about it. I may not have written a book but everything that God has led me to write; newspaper articles, fiction, poetry, memoir, etc., I have received a great deal of enjoyment from. God  placed the gift of writing in me and without it I just do not feel completely whole.

I was amazed to discover this week that both the words, 'joy' and 'gift' come from the same Greek word for 'grace.' It's by Gods grace that He gifted me with the love of words and it is when I engage myself with that gift that I experience a joy that comes from expressing it. It's a joy all of my own but dependent on God.

"My Father is glorified and honored by this, when you bear much fruit." John 15:8a AMP. My joy and God's glory are intertwined together, when I write for Him as He loves to see His creation using the gifts He gave us. It brings Him much joy just as it does me.


Enjoying a writers retreat 

Gloria enjoys writing from her home in Caron, Sk., on the prairies where she lives with her husband and cat Tigger. Her writing has been published in newspapers (reporting), as a newspaper columnist, anthologies and a couple of other publications. She has also taken editing classes from Simon Fraser University and Creative Writing Classes from the U of T. Her writing comes from the heart of one who has experienced tough situations and wants to help others.  

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this delightful post, dear Gloria. Yes, there is much joy in exercising whatever gift God has given us. He's so good to His children.
    Even if my manuscripts never see the light of publication, writing them has been one of life's greatest joys. We grow in and gain much wisdom and joy when we write for the Lord.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! If we don't enjoy what we're doing, then why bother? Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes. It’s actually hard to
    imagine a writer composing if they didn’t enjoy it. Thought I would share this quote from ‘A League of Their Own’ -“It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard everyone would be doing it. It’s the hard that makes it great.” Always enjoy your posts, Gloria, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Gloria, for reminding us of the joy and enjoyment of writing. That's part of God's gifting to us--to enjoy the work He has called us to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.