March 01, 2022

Covid Plot Twists in Retrospect by Sandi Somers

Covid Rearview Mirror

 The last two years of Covid have been for me like living in the twists and turns of a suspense novel.  

 My first plot twist occurred in mid-March, 2020, when the world turned upside down. At first, like most people, I reacted with fear—would I get infected? Could I safely visit my family? Was it safe to go shopping?

But then one morning I awoke to hear the Spirit whisper a paraphrase of Psalm 57:1. “He will hide you under the shadow of His wings until the danger passes by.” This was the confidence I needed.

 Gradually I developed creative coping skills. I discovered many new walking pathways beyond my neighbourhood. A friend and I began “parking lot” visits from our safely-distanced cars. And with church shut down, I began Sunday morning birdwatching, returning home to catch the 11 o’clock service online. Once spring weather came, my cul-de-sac neighbours and I met outside while the children played on the street. I phoned my niece and the children she was home-schooling, praying with them as they started their day. Zoom meetings became the norm, both with attending a number that sprang up and leading my local writers’ group online.

 The second plot twist for me crept up with “Cancel Christmas” in 2020. I would stay home alone instead of organizing our usual extended family dinner.

 However, the Lord brought surprises. My next-door neighbours gifted me with their Ukrainian Christmas Eve dinner (yum!), Christmas dinner (double yum!), and even their New Year’s dinner (triple yum!). I saw the Lord’s gracious hand on me.   

 My next plot twist came in the spring and summer of 2021. Covid numbers declined and Alberta removed restrictions, just in time for a modified Calgary Stampede. I realized I had become too comfortable being home alone and had to push myself to visit with people more. I began to catch up on different health-care appointments. Our local ICWF writers’ group met in person for the first time since the Covid outbreak.

However, most of us knew what was coming—in the fall of 2021, Alberta experienced the worst outbreak in Canada. The government reinstated restrictions, and gradually Covid cases decreased, repeating an all-too-familiar cycle. By November, I hoped much of Covid would be behind us. I was expecting to read “The End” of this novel.

 But Omicron swept through the world with fury. For me it was like living a sequel. And here Omicron affected me more personally. My brother Cyril broke his hip, and during his surgery, a Covid outbreak was discovered in his hospital unit. That meant the ward was off-limits for visitors. He personally became infected and was in isolation for ten days after his last symptoms—hospital protocol. I’m sure it was hard for him to see “just the four walls” as he called his isolation, as it was hard for me not to visit him. I can now identify more with families who could not visit their loved ones in the earlier days of Covid.

Cyril is currently at home, with me as his caregiver—a new experience for both of us--while others in the family are taking care of his cattle. And you, bloggers, have had a part. I’ve been so encouraged to read your posts this month on giving and receiving love. I want to thank you for your input into my, and by extension, Cyril’s wellbeing. 

 As I look back on these last two years, I’m fully aware that God the Author is in control of this Covid story. Out of it all, He has woven golden threads through my twists and turns.

 I’m reminded, “When the world is in distress, the Lord has enlarged me” (adapted from Psalm 4:1). A crisis often spawns new creativity. I’ve written several Covid-related articles, including “Artist’s Dates with a Difference”, for our February FellowScript. Several devotionals have been either published or accepted for publication, and others are in process.

 The Lord intends me to keep my eyes focused on Him and “go with the flow” of Covid, seeing Him provide opportunities to support and pray with others and share God’s love.

 I don’t know what further plot twists this sequel will hold. I cannot skip over the rest of Covid to the end, as I did recently while reading a novel. Whatever lies in the future, however, I pray that my life and story will honour and glorify my Lord.

 ~ ~ ~

 Now over to you. As you think of your last two years in the pandemic:

·        What moments stand out for you?

·        What challenges have you faced (positive or negative)?

·        How have your perspectives changed?

·        How have you seen God at work?

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling us your "time of Covid" story. It's been a challenging time, and one that will not be forgotten for many, many years. Through it all, God is faithful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lorrie, we'll remember these Covid years, for good or not. Yet God has been faithful and will continue to be.

      Delete
  2. Dear Sandi, thank you for your articulate description of what has happened over the last two years. It's a fog that's only beginning to lift for many of us. The limitations have become so familiar that as normal opens up, it's a challenge not to feel uncomfortable returning to our former ways.
    I'm glad God remained the same through all these differences we've endured.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. It's true that in looking back, we remember some of our days and limitations as through a fog. Yes, God does remain faithful, and that's the constant.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sandi! Thank you for giving us a peek into the plot twists you experience during the past two years.
    Wow, my mind still spins at the weight brought into life because of the pandemic. I am mulling over your questions. Forgive me if I seem too candid. Those I love, I love more. Those I distrust, I distrust more. My biggest challenge has been not being able to hug my daughter and her family for two years due to the frail health of my granddaughter. I thank God for life and faith to know He never lets us go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alan. I feel your heartbreak in not being able to hug your daughter and family for two years. Loving touch is so vital to our wellbeing, and so many have been deprived of this during covid. God bless your other ways you show Love to this family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was nice to see things from your POV during this time... I think we are all looking forward to lifted restrictions, but I know we've all learned and grown, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, aren't we all hoping for better times! And yes, these two years have given us lots of opportunities to grow.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your post, and especially for sharing how God has moved and directed you over the past two years. Such hope. Praying for a full recovery for your brother and strength and courage for you both as you navigate this new adventure together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.