March 09, 2022

Busy, Blessed, and Grateful by Joylene M Bailey

 

image from Pixabay



A few nights ago, I woke up at 3 a.m. and began thinking about this blog post.

How was my pandemic?

My brain percolated with all the ways God had blessed us through two years of worldwide upheaval. The thoughts came so fast and furiously that I finally got up, crossed the hall to my study, and in the light of a single lamp casting a warm glow into the room, I jotted three pages of blessings.

Three pages! When I counted the bullet points, they added up to 45 blessings.

Don't worry, I won't list them all here. But I will highlight three significant and transformative ones.


Creating Community in Isolation   

As lockdowns were put in place and everybody was isolating, I felt urged to encourage those who may be feeling afraid, lonely, or hopeless. My creativity kicked into gear and before I knew it, I was writing two blog posts a week. I called them my Tea-Time posts, where I welcomed people for virtual tea, treats, and a visit. Not many commented, but according to my stats, I had visits from around the world. If you're interested, here is one of those posts.  

Creativity kicked into gear some more when it became clear that our children and grandchildren, from one and two provinces away, wouldn't be able to come for Christmas 2020 as planned. In my disappointment, my eyes rested on a long-legged snowman that The Cowboy had given me. Suddenly he had a name - Jubal - and a pet reindeer named Reggie. Jubal and Reggie got into many predicaments, and every day for more than a month there was a new Jubal story sent to the grandkids. I had so much fun I almost forgot that our home would be quiet over Christmas. (click here to hear about some of Jubal's predicaments)

God used my creativity to keep me busy and joyful when I could have been down in the dumps. He is so good!


Building a Dream   

Just before Covid hit, plans for the home we'd been dreaming and designing for so long were finally done. The builder was ready to go into the ground. And then ... suddenly people were in isolation, tradesmen opted to take government assistance rather than go to work, supplies became hard to find, and prices for those supplies soared. Our dream seemed dead. 

Until, God directed us to a new builder. His business hadn't slowed down at all, and even better, he understood our vision for the place. It wasn't just a new house for us. It was to be a place of sanctuary for others. "Built for us, with others in mind" is what we always said. Because of skyrocketing prices, we had to give up on our original design and pare down. It was either that or wait until the pandemic was over, but we felt such an urgency to move forward that we were willing to modify the dream. If we hadn't, we'd still be waiting. Instead, possession of our new home is seven weeks away. Our present home goes on the market today.

It's been hard. It's been very busy. But, every step of the way, God guided us through. He has been so good!


A Wedding Window  

We were one of many families trying to plan a wedding during a pandemic. With restrictions fluctuating and businesses trying to cope, a plan made one day would have to be completely changed the next. Nothing was guaranteed. And how do you invite your guests? Do you say you're invited but leave room to be uninvited in case restrictions change ... again. It was all so chaotic, and we felt like we were in limbo most of the time. Then, summer 2021 opened up in Alberta. We jumped on it, planning and executing a wedding in six weeks.

Babe and her fiancée got the date they wanted. An outdoor venue they loved was available and offered a covid flex plan, just in case. The photographer had one day free, and it was their day! A friend volunteered to make the wedding cake and seven dozen cupcakes, unaware that the original wedding cake-maker had fallen through just the day before. The entire six weeks was blessing after blessing.

It was a gorgeous day, enjoyed by friends and family, and blessed with good health for everyone, even weeks later. The very next month, restrictions closed in again. It was almost as though God had made sure restrictions were lifted just for our wedding.  

How good God is!

~~~~~

Yes, there have been hard times over these last two years, both personally and globally. But I choose to count my blessings - 45 so far, and those are just the ones I jotted down in the middle of the night.

God is so good, and I am grateful.


~~~~~



Joy and The Cowboy will live in Edmonton for seven more weeks before moving to their new home in the country, which they've named The Cleft.

Find more of her joy-infused writing at Scraps of Joy.


14 comments:

  1. Dear Joy, what a pleasure to read about some of your long list of blessings. Nothing--absolutely nothing--can stop God's showers of blessings upon His people.
    Thank you for making me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Wendy. And so true, nothing can stop God's showers of blessings upon His people. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your beautiful example of counting your blessings, Joy. It was a good reminder to count mine each day and in all my experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I almost didn't have a choice counting them this time since they were keeping me awake. haha

      Delete
  3. Joy, I loved your post. And I loved reading the good news of those many blessings that shone light into your world during the dark days of these past couple of years. As Wendy noted, God's showers of blessings can pour out on us no matter what is going on in the world. I'm reminded of that old, old story in the Old Testament -- how there was light in Goshen when darkness covered everywhere else. You've made my heart sing. Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing the blessings we can find even in dark times if we just look for them. :) Thank you Brenda.

      Delete
  4. This is such an encouraging post, Joy! I remember seeing both "Tea Time" and Jubal's adventures on your blog. I also love the phrase "Built for us with others in mind". What a breath of fresh air this post is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Tracy. They are a breath of fresh air to me. :)

      Delete
  5. I used to hate counting my blessings. I felt they were qualified with downers. Counting blessings seemed pointless as they never helped me solve problems. Now I know about God's providence and how it's a much greater miracle than those done in the Bible. So many factors need to line up for the Father's will to be done. I've learned to trust him when things in my world are sliding sideways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "So many factors need to line up for the Father's will to be done." So true! That's what makes it a miracle doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. Hi Joy! Thank you for another cause me to be thankful post. I love your idea of making a list of blessings. Sounds like it work out well. Your vision of the purpose of your new home moved me. A place of sanctuary sounds like a huge hug. I imagine your excitement for your new home is mounting. Blessings to you, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. Yes, we are excited about the new place, and counting down the days. :)

      Delete
  7. 45 bullet point blessings. Very good, Joy. Love the picture of the sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, such a rich and full post, Joy. I enjoyed the links and particularly liked the line "For me, because of the One in whom I put it in, hope is the anchor that snags the spiderweb of gauze, freeing me from its entangling shroud. It changes everything." What a terrific idea to write adventures for your grandkids. (I liked where they were stuck in Grandpa's stocking) May your house truly be a place blessed by God, a sanctuary for you and others. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.