March 16, 2022

Choosing My Focus by Lorilee Guenter


 March 14, 2020 I joined others from around the province at our church for an evening of praise and worship. March 15, our morning service was cancelled due to the rapidly changing public health orders. Twelve hours meant the difference between gathering and not. Twelve hours left us as a church no time to pivot to an online service, but one week did. One week later, what would become normal began with an online gathering.


Two years later, no one knows what normal is. The news touts numbers and statistics. Friends, family, neighbours, and colleagues discuss, debate, or avoid the latest theories and predictions. I find myself in each of those categories. I avoid because I do not want to dwell on what might have been and what could be. I discuss because I want to know enough to choose well without fear and panic. I debate on occasion because sometimes I enjoy a good debate if it helps us understand each other.


Mostly, I try to ignore the siren song of fear. There will always be something to fear. We live in a broken world. War, disease, and disaster happen. I do not have the power to change that.


I can choose my response. I can choose to believe that God is still present, and is not caught by surprise, so I trust. I can choose to trust that God has the power to change circumstances. So I pray. I have the choice to choose faith or fear. I wish I could say I always choose faith. Unfortunately, there are times when the crush of voices and the unknown ever changing data cause fear, discouragement, and overwhelm to start rising.


I struggled to begin writing about the last two years because I have worked to change my focus. We are encouraged to think about what is true, honourable, just, pure, and commendable (Phil 4:8). A focus on what is excellent and worthy of praise is much healthier than division and fear. The only way I can focus on the blessings in the midst of all circumstances is by focusing on the One who is true, honourable, just, pure, and praise-worthy. With that focus, fear disappears and compassion has a place to grow.


6 comments:

  1. Dear Lorilee, thank you for this much needed reminder to focus on God and walk with compassion.
    I love these words of yours: "I can choose my response. I can choose to believe that God is still present, and is not caught by surprise, so I trust... With that focus, fear disappears and compassion has a place to grow."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! We must keep our eyes on God! Thanks for your candid post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lorilee. I love that you "want to know enough to choose well without fear." Thanks for your honesty and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. All the panicky news reports and social media arguments just keep people in a state of fear and hatred. And as Christians, we need to be Christ's conduits of light and joy in this dark and depressing world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lorilee, thank you for your words and heart. Like you I, "want to know enough to choose well without fear." For one thing, I have stopped listening to anything our government says about the pandemic. I have zero faith in government or government appointed mouthpieces as they have also encouraged fear and division. The many voices only cause one to look to God for wisdom and safety, beyond what the world is capable of. Lord have mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lorilee, for your reminder that faith over fear is a choice we must make, and that faith increases as we focus on God instead of what gives us fear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.