September 27, 2021

The 49th Parallel: "Now That I'm a Man" - Bruce Atchison

This is a song about maturing into adulthood. Once children grow up, they gain a new perspective on everything. Listen to the song here:

I certainly have matured in my prayer life. For example, I didn't even know about daily prayer until somebody asked me if I prayed each day.

My prayers used to be filled with requests for myself. Then I began praying for my family and friends. After a few years, I started praying for persecuted Christians and folks whom I didn't know personally.

We all need to mature in the faith, particularly in prayer. As Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 13:11 (Bible in Basic English), "When I was a child, I made use of a child's language, I had a child's feelings and a child's thoughts: now that I am a man, I have put away the things of a child."

God expects us to grow, even as we expect physical children to develop. That's why Hebrews 5:12 (BBE) instructs, "And though by this time it would be right for you to be teachers, you still have need of someone to give you teaching about the first simple rules of God's revelation; you have become like babies who have need of milk, and not of solid food."

And while it would have been nice to have been tutored by Christ in the flesh, we have his promised Holy Spirit guiding us. As Jesus promised in John 14:25 and 26 (BBE), "I have said all this to you while I am still with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will be your teacher in all things and will put you in mind of everything I have said to you."

This gives us an advantage over even the wisest of secular people. We read in 1 Corinthians 2:14 (BBE), "For the natural man is not able to take in the things of the Spirit of God: for they seem foolish to him, and he is not able to have knowledge of them, because such knowledge comes only through the Spirit."

So let us use this privilege to its full extent.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce! That's a song that I have never heard before. Your music choices always open me up to something new. Thanks for your post. Your words resonate with me because I remember the very prayers that only included my wants. Thankfully, God knows our hearts and the things that we often leave out are the things he still hears and He uses the Holy Spirit as well as the people around us to nudge us into a deeper relationship with Him. Just reading your post is a nudge/reminder for me to grow. Pray without ceasing. Day or night God is always there - he never sleeps nor slumbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Vickie. My hope is that by combining my love of rock music, I can hopefully edify others. It's my way of serving the Lord. Will he say, "Well done," to me? I hope so.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Tracy. And what a blessing it is to combine my love of music with my love of the scriptures! If I ever get my devotional written, I hope it blesses and edifies each reader of it.

      Delete
  2. Once again you hit the nail on the head. We all mature in our faith including our prayer life, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce, I enjoyed seeing your pictures and I appreciated the way you encouraged us to keep growing in all areas of faith.
    The following quote of yours reminds us we don't walk alone and all things are possible because of Who is teaching us along the way:
    "And while it would have been nice to have been tutored by Christ in the flesh, we have his promised Holy Spirit guiding us. As Jesus promised in John 14:25 and 26."
    Blessings,
    Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your words of wisdom, Bruce: "We all need to mature in the faith, particularly in prayer." Your song brought back so many memories of understanding my faith life in adulthood that I didn't know when I was a child. A big Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.