September 14, 2021

September Mid-Month Moments by Connie Inglis

 Mid-Month Moments


Last week I began reading 1 Corinthians as part of my morning quiet time and today I read the opening verses of Chapter 3: "Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3 You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans?"

It reminded me of something I've recently learned (but should have figured out a few years ago) about growing tomato plants in planters.

Last year, my tomato plants started out strong and green and beautiful. But when they began producing fruit, they started to slowly dry up. I thought that perhaps my deck was too hot and that I wasn't watering them enough. So I watered them more. It didn't help. My neighbour suggested maybe it was from over-watering so I cut back. They still didn't revive. It's not like they completely died, they just weren't thriving and they stopped producing fruit.

This year, the same thing started to occur toward the end of July. Thankfully, this time, my sister (a true gardener with a garden and a greenhouse) told me it was because the plants needed fertilizer--and not just any fertilizer, but the blend specifically for tomatoes. The next day I went and bought fertilizer and gave my tomato plants what they were needing all along. I say that because, within a few days, the leaves began turning a dark, rich green again. As well, new growth happened and little yellow flowers bloomed signaling future fruit..

So, what was the problem? I was giving the plants only water (or, as the text says, milk) and not giving them the nutrients they needed--the solid food, as it were.

Unfortunately, Paul couldn't even offer solid food to the Corinthian believers. They weren't ready for it. It had nothing to do with their physical age but their spiritual age. They were still babies. And how did he know this? He knew because they were still quarreling amongst each other, acting jealously, and doing a lot of comparing and choosing sides. What a sad commentary on the believers in the Corinthian church. I'm not like that!

But wait, as soon as I compare myself with them and put them down, I'm just like those believers in 1 Corinthians 3. I am boasting in my own wisdom and not keeping my eyes on Jesus and His wisdom. I'm slipping back into drinking only milk and not eating solid food.

Oh, how easy it is to stop seeking God's truth and His wisdom and thus just coast along. God's Word says that if I live like that, I will not grow or produce any fruit. I will be a seedling that never grows up.

This month, the Scripture I'm praying for the individual members of InScribe is James 3:13-18. I don't believe it's coincidental that these verses are talking about seeking God's wisdom and not worldly "wisdom." Today especially I was reminded again of how much I need God's wisdom. Specifically verses 17 & 18 state: "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness."

As well, verse speaks about living a life of "humility that comes from wisdom." If we are eating God's "solid food"--if we're digging into His Word and seeking to become more like His Son Jesus Christ--then humility will become a part of who we are. It's not something we will see in ourselves either--it's a character trait that others will see in us. It's like me looking at the tomato plants and seeing health and growth and fruit.

My prayer for us this week is that we will desire "solid food." That we will seek to know and become more like Jesus Christ and the wisdom He offers in that. Because then, we will sow peace. May we sow peace. And may the result be a harvest of righteousness.

In peace,
Connie

August 23, 2018

Mid-Month Moments are past devotionals written by Connie Inglis that she shared each week when she was InScribe's spiritual advisor. (Originally called 'Mid-Week Moments') They are shared from her archives with permission in the middle of each month. 

5 comments:

  1. Timely flashback post. We need this more than ever.
    Thank you, dear Connie. 🌿✝️🕊️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great tomato insight, we need fertilizer, the right enrichment for those tomato plants to blossom. I had two tomato plants this year, one thrived & the other one was overshadowed and produced little fruit-another analogy I'm sure. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your faithful prayers for us at InScribe over the years. That was a huge commitment! God bless you in your more relaxed responsibilities in InScribe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.