February 11, 2019

Enouragement & Accountability by Carol Harrison

When I think of spurring one another on, I think of encouraging each other while building in accountability to continue to use the gifts, talents and abilities God has given us.Sometimes affirmations for my writing have come from unexpected sources and once in awhile I hear from readers about what something I have written has meant to them or how it helped them. These encourage me and make me realize that God uses the words when I am faithful to put them on paper.

Yet spurring one another on goes beyond simply hearing the positive and encouraging words. Accountability helps keep me on track. Meeting with other writers, reading Inscribe blog posts and listening to the journey of others who are further along the road than I am,  helps me learn and grow as well as gives an occasional nudge to continue to work on a project, start one I have been putting off or help me get unstuck.

Recently I had a wonderful day hanging out with my oldest daughter, Lorilee, who is also a writer. She came over to my place armed with a notebook, her daytimer and ideas for me. I brought out my notebook filled with lots of ideas which needed organizing. Those random thoughts and ideas were the tip of the iceberg. Files, both paper and computer ones lacked any rhyme or reason and caused me to waste a lot of time hunting for whatever material I needed on any given day.

She helped review my ideas, offered a few tips to collect writing into more specific files for future reference and made several to do lists in my notebook. Deadlines appeared in pencil beside tasks and a dream of a larger finished writing project became more of a possibility.

After a lunch break ad socializing gave us a chance to switch gears. Then we focused on her ideas, added manageable steps and deadlines and wrote them on her calendar. She laughed at how organized she tried to appear when it isn't her strength. We encouraged each other to not get bogged down in the plethora of ideas like the ones which flooded into my mind nor wonder if you had enough projects dreamed of like she struggled with.

We marked our calendars for a repeat performance in a month's time to build in that accountability. In this way we could spur each other on to continue reaching for and achieving our goals.

Having opportunities to walk together on this writing journey helps me live out my faith. It reminds me of the 'One Anothers' in the New Testament - those commands of how to treat each other if we are following Jesus.

One passage is Colossians 3: 12- 17 (NIV)

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts, since as members on one body you were called to peace and be thankful. Let the word of God dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts onto God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus giving thanks to god the Father through him."

I know I have much to learn as I work on my writing. I am grateful for those who have encouraged and shared their knowledge and journey with me. I pray that I can also encourage others and help spur them on with love and compassion as we walk this journey of life together.

I look forward to our next mother/ daughter day of encouragement and accountability and am excited to see where her writing journey will take her.




As a speaker, published author and storyteller, Carol Harrison is passionate about mentoring people of all ages and abilities to help them find their voice and reach their fullest potential. She shares from her heart, telling stories from real life experiences and God’s Word to encourage people and help them find a glimmer of hope no matter what the circumstances. She believes we need to continuously grow in our walk with God and lives out her storytelling passion by speaking at women’s events and retreats, Bible Camps as well as school assemblies and church events. Carol is a wife, mother of four adult children and grandmother to twelve. She makes her home is Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.



2 comments:

  1. How lovely that you are able to share this writing journey with your daughter, using your together times to spur each other on -- sharing ideas, encouragement, and accountability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thing you are doing--to help each other with your writing--spurring one another on and challenging each other to further accomplishments. Accountability with love and understanding!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.