March 04, 2014

A Life of Truth in a Changing World, by Natasha Erskine

Then Jesus said to those who believed in Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)

People all over the world have their own version of the truth. We all have different beliefs that we assent to, different influences and experiences that form and shape our perspectives and beliefs. And all disciples must come to the place in which they realize that they cannot know and understand God by human resources alone.

As the author and the finisher of our faith, our Teacher disciples us from a place of human knowledge to a place of spiritual understanding. At the beginning of our journey of faith, our ideas are formed by our human context, our personality preferences, our cultural influences and experiences, etc. But our transformation comes by the renewing of our minds, as we come alive in the spirit, and live a life submitted to a truth beyond ourselves… His ways are higher than our ways. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts.

We are writing in an age where the whole world is united as one global village. We are exposed to all kinds of religious beliefs, traditions, cultures, perspectives, etc. How do we approach topics that result in cultural tensions and controversy? That step on the toes of racial or religious stereotypes and prejudices? How do we engage with the world, expressing our faith, in a way that honours the Word and demonstrates grace? The perfect love of God?

Living here on this earth, we believers must face the monstrous challenge of being foreigners in a strange land, ambassadors for Christ, expressions of a kingdom that is not of this world, the kingdom of heaven…

I do not know the answers to most of these questions, and I know this doesn't touch on the practical questions at hand, but these things I keep before me as I write…

1. Jesus Himself is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no one comes to the Father except through Him.

2. Jesus' truth brings change and freedom to whomever it meets, at whatever time in history, in whatever culture or circumstance in which a person finds himself/herself.

3. No matter how well formulated are my thoughts and beliefs, no matter how confident I am in my understanding and interpretations of the Word, His Ways are higher than my ways, His thoughts are higher than my thoughts. I must remain submitted to the Living Word that is exalted even above the very Name of God (Ps 138:2).

4. Truth can only be lived out and experienced in a life of grace. I know the Truth because of grace. I express the truth because of grace. Someone else might come to know the truth through me, and be set free, only because of grace.

5. A life of truth requires vulnerability, a willingness to be broken.

Prayer:

Father, in these days of great change, with cultures clashing around the globe, truths and false truths mixed together as one, How do we exalt the truth? How do we know and write the Living Word that sets people free? Lead us out of our human wisdom and into spiritual understanding. Fill us with your grace.   


7 comments:

  1. Perfect Nastasha,
    Look to Jesus for the answers and His answers are forgiveness and grace. Speak the truth but only in love.
    Blessings to you as you write for HIm,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and Amen, Natasha. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foreigners in a strange land? Yes, there are days when I just want to run away or curl up but then I remember the breath of God and the Son of Truth. Sweet relief. Great thoughts, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so good to hear somebody take a stand for truth! I am glad to be part of this family. I'm with you, Natasha! Yes, we need wisdom from the Lord for these times.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we do live in complicated times. We can't always believe what hear, see, read, or view, because there are truths, half-truths, and outright untruth around us on every side. This can get confusing. Like 50 Shades of Gray, we have 50 Shades of Truth.

    We need to pray as the psalmist did, "Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me. . . " Ps. 25: 4-5a

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments. It is so good to know that we are not alone in this journey, but are joined together, united under one Truth. Blessings on you as you seek, pray, and write!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natasha,

    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us today.

    It was this thought that really stood out for me as I read your posting...where you said how our Teacher disciples us 'from a place of human knowledge to a place of spiritual understanding.'

    Yes! To me, that fits with Paul's comments in Romans 12 about being transformed by the renewing of our minds. He takes us from the temporal to the eternal.

    Thanks again and many blessings,
    Brenda
    Blog Moderator

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.