March 26, 2014

Reading and Writing Controversy - Bonnie Way

I am a peacemaker.  I avoid conflict, keep my mouth shut in tense situations, change the topic rather than deal with something that could explode.  Whether or not that is helpful in real life is debatable, but as a writer, this tendency is a downfall.  Writing needs conflict.  We read to see how people deal with problems—if they don't have problems, then we'll read something else.

As a reader, I appreciate books which tackle tough topics or show protagonists in difficult situations.  This includes controversial topics.  I think fiction is great medium in which to explore controversial or taboo topics.  A novel is a safe arena in which to explore something that makes us uncomfortable.  After all, it's fiction, right?  So it's not really "real."  It's a way to face something without it becoming personal.  It's like reading a newspaper; we can keep it at arm's length if we wish.

Even though fiction lets us look at controversy in an arms-length, curious sort of way, it also draws us in.  This, I think, is the power of fiction.  In reading, we tend to identify with the protagonist.  We see what they see, feel what they feel, hear what they hear.  So when we have a protagonist who is dealing with something bad—bullying or illegal drugs or an affair or whatever—we also have the chance to get inside their head and understand why.  Why are they drawn to that?  What makes them do it?  And in that understanding, we are less prone to judgement.

There's an old saying about not judging someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.  I grew up in a very conservative Christian home.  We looked down upon anyone who was divorced, because divorce clearly wasn't God's plan for marriage.  It shouldn't happen.  The couple should have tried harder, shouldn't have been so selfish, should have done something better.  Then my parents divorced.  Suddenly, I had a completely different perspective on divorce.  As writers, we have the power to give that new perspective to readers through our writing.

Some of my favourite books deal with controversy.  Angela Hunt is one of my all-time favourite authors, but I passed on several opportunities to review her book The Offering because of the topic.  It deals with surrogacy and IVF, which the Catholic Church forbids.  Somehow, the book still ended up in my mailbox and I read it.  While I still agree with the Catholic Church's position on the topics, I have more sympathy for someone considering either because of the way the characters in the story drew me into their struggles.

Similarly, Nancy Rue and Rebecca St. James tackle the topic of cutting or self-injury in The Merciful Scar.  Before I read that, I had no idea why on earth someone would think that cutting themselves would fix anything.  I wasn't very far into this book before I was crying for Kristen, understanding completely why she wanted to cut.  The Merciful Scar made me think really hard about my own life and about people who face addictions and gave me a lot more sympathy.

As writers, then, I think we should tackle controversial topics.  I think we should write prayerfully and humbly, asking that God can bring truth into our words and help our words bring understanding to our readers.  I think we should read books that deal with controversial topics, as writers to learn how to handle those topics, and as readers to gain sympathy and understanding for the people dealing with those issues. 

5 comments:

  1. Good exploration, Bonnie. Your description of why we need to read about controversial topics makes good sense, and gives me some insight into things I'm writing these days.

    I, too, avoid conflict as much as I can. Even so, God has allowed some great conflict in my life. As I gain the distance of time and maturity, I find I'm able to look back on those periods and see myself as the protagonist (or, at times, the antagonist!), and discover material for today's writing.

    In God's economy, nothing goes to waste - even the hard times, especially for the writers.

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good exploration, Bonnie. Your description of why we need to read about controversial topics makes good sense, and gives me some insight into things I'm writing these days.

    I, too, avoid conflict as much as I can. Even so, God has allowed some great conflict in my life. As I gain the distance of time and maturity, I find I'm able to look back on those periods and see myself as the protagonist (or, at times, the antagonist!), and discover material for today's writing.

    In God's economy, nothing goes to waste - even the hard times, especially for the writers.

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you on all points, Bonnie! And those two reading suggestions? Now on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also adding those books to my huge TBR pile! I totally agree with everything you said. it is easy to pass judgement on someone else until you have experienced those things on a personal level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so true that fiction reaches us in ways that non-fiction does not. It helps us to see what others are struggling with in a way that we could not understand otherwise. Oh the power of a well-written novel! Love this topic.

    Pam Mytroen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.