June 03, 2013

Are Your Thoughts Flying? - Janis Cox



"The wind blows to the south and turns to the north;
round and round it goes, ever returning on its course" (Ecclesiastes 1:6, NIV).


That's the way my head feels today. Thoughts, ideas and plans swirling round and round. I get something accomplished and then 10 more items appear on my page. As a writer I know I need to find a focus or a plan; but as a Christian I also try to follow God's plan.

So how do I find my way between these two plans of attack?

As I grow in the Lord and in my writing, I learn that it is sometimes one way and sometimes the other. I can plan my day - right down to the hour only to find other things drop in, without so much as a "May I come in?" Then I have to make a decision - where does God want me in this moment? Most of the unexpected drop-ins are from God. I need to be aware of what He is doing so I can change my schedule to fit His plan.

Then there are days when I have neglected to make a plan. I follow my rhythm, God's Presence with me the whole day. And I love these days as He puts things on my heart in His timing. I know this doesn't always work the most efficiently but eventually I do get the jobs done. And I enjoy His Presence with more clarity that I would have if I worked on my own.

I used to be a rigid Martha, with a rigid schedule who ran a tight ship. More recently I like working towards being a Mary. I have learned to stop and ask God for His advice; I have learned to take a breath and hear His voice; I have gained energy from Jesus when there should be no energy left. I have made God my first priority. I like the new way of working.

What ways do you work? Do you feel under stress? Why? Are you trying to do everything yourself? Can you ask God into your day and let Him lead, guide and give you the added energy you need? Is God your priority?





Janis, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published a couple of devotionals and a number of articles. As owner of a group blog, Under the Cover of Prayer and a blogger at He Cares for You, she writes often. Her children's book, Tadeo Turtle, in which she is also the illustrator, is available at retailers, online or on her blog. A free curriculum is available upon request. Email her or visit her on her website.



8 comments:

  1. Janis, I really identified with this post. It is SO easy to get too busy and inflexible. My Dad used to say, "If the Devil can't stop you, he'll get behind you and push so hard you're too busy to do any good." I too have been working on having more "breathing space" in my shedule and being sensitive to God's will for me. We need more Marys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth,
    As I work more towards the listening to His Spirit and following His lead I am at peace during my day. Nothing ruffles my feathers as I have the perfect Partner.
    May He continue to lead us towards being Mary-like.
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although a plan is always a good idea, I think letting God 'interrupt' and reschedule your day is always the best way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tracy,
    Learning to go with interruptions - not fret - just flow.
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can sure relate to that swirling, Janis. I sure love that verse in Ecclesiastes, and don't remember reading it before. And hey, great minds think alike--we had the same ladies in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Proverbs 3:5-6 on little stone plaques over my desk, and whenever I realize I'm adrift because I've been leaning on my own understanding, I acknowledge Him. He is faithful to direct my paths when I do this! Thanks for the inspiring reminder, and God bless,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a timely post for me. I'm trying to work more diligently and make better use of my time, yet to use that time as God leads and not as I may think it should be spent.

    Laurie, Proverbs 3:5-6 may be my life verses. They're definitely taking me a lifetime to learn to apply!

    Janis, something related to this that I'm learning is to rely on God's strength to do what He gives me, and not to feel like I have to do it all on my own. That's where I'm so similar to Martha, because she was trying on her own too.

    Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ramona, Laurie and Janet.
    Good thoughts. In July I touch on the same thought again. How can I use my time wisely without getting lost in Internet space?
    Trusting in God - for leading, strength, wisdom and communication.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.