June 09, 2013

Timothy's Blog - Shirley S. Tye

Today, I, Timothy, received what I fear may be Apostle Paul’s last letter to me. My spirit is heavy with sadness at the news that Paul, my dear teacher and mentor, is in a Roman prison. Despite his situation, he wrote with great enthusiasm many encouraging words.

He reminded me to always conduct myself properly as is fitting of a servant of the Lord; not to quarrel but to be gentle with everyone; able to teach; patient; and in meekness instructing those who are in opposition with hopes that they will acknowledge the Truth, come to their senses and be saved from the snare of the devil. I am to shun profane and vain babblings for such worthless talk will only lead to ungodliness. Paul charged me to preach the Word; to do the work of an evangelist; to be always ready to reprove, rebuke, and encourage with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Paul wrote about the coming apostasy. The last days will be perilous times. There will be much coveting, selfish boasting and seeking of mediate individual pleasure, pride, blaspheming, disobedience to parents, false accusations, conspiracy against all authority even against our dear Lord. I know he did not write this to make me fearful for he reminded me that God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind. Paul wrote these things so that I will be aware of these evils and be on guard against them.

He has suffered many persecutions and afflictions. And I likewise, will no doubt suffer for our dear Lord, Jesus Christ as will all who live godly lives. Although I dread this prospect, I shall stand strong as Paul has knowing that our Lord will be with me and deliver me as He has delivered Paul many times. If we endure, we will also reign with our Lord.

Paul urged me to go to him quickly, before winter, and requested I bring his clock that he left at Troas with Carpus, and the books and parchments. Many have deserted him and some, like Alexander the coppersmith, have done much evil to him. Only Luke is with him now. I am to take Mark along with me because Paul trusts and values Mark’s abilities.

I shall hurry to him. My spirit senses an impending death in Paul’s final words; “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.” With tears burning my eyes, I will say farewell and miss him dearly when he is gone. But I know he is homeward bound to see our precious Lord and Saviour to receive with immense joy his crown of righteousness. I look forward to the same.

Standing firm in Christ Jesus,
Timothy



2 comments:

  1. I loved the way you took the scripture and made it seem like a blog post from Timnothy. I suppose the apostles would have been doing that very thing... Well done - and SO RELEVANT for today..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley,

    I so enjoyed reading your Timothy posting. As Tracy mentioned, the topic is so relevant for our time.

    I think the apostles would have had a field day posting about their experiences with Jesus as they saw miracles, healings, salvations by the thousands. And later, to use it to spread the message further afield.

    Perhaps they are looking at us (with the cloud of witnesses) and hoping we will really make use of this avenue for teaching and affirming the saints, and reaching out to those not yet in the Family.





    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.