June 23, 2013

There is Healing in the Writing by Terrie Lynne

As I quietly type out my posting in the wee hours of this morning, I find it difficult to stay focused on the task at hand. My thoughts drift to the concerns of my dear, sweet Mom who is undergoing surgery tomorrow and to the thousands of people in southern Alberta who have lost their homes, businesses and even loved ones over the last few days due to major flooding. I whisper a prayer for them and refocus, but my mind seems as blank as this page that I'm staring at. The thought comes to me, "Why write...what's the point?"

I'm reminded of the words that were spoken deep into my soul last summer, "There is healing in the writing", and I remember what I still believe to be true about writing. For me, the blank page is like a meeting place where I can "lay my cards on the table" through words on the page. I can be myself and bare my soul to the one that I am writing to, be it the Almighty Counsellor, the Author and Finisher of my faith, a family member, a friend or that someone out there in cyberspace that may just need a word of encouragement for that moment.

I'm reminded of revelations from last summer that I still believe to be true; that if I wait until I feel 100% confident in myself or that everything is perfect in my life, then I will never write because that will most likely never happen this side of heaven. Why? Because I'm human...you're human. We live in a broken and fallen world that desperately needs a Saviour and His healing and empowering grace.

It's a world that needs to see my transparency, both as a believer and a writer; to see that I need His healing and empowering grace in order to live out every moment of the day, and that I am simply nothing without Him!

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

In Him we live and move and have our being . Acts 17:28

If you are in Me and I in you, you will bare fruit; apart from me nothing. John 15:5


5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. What a great gift God had given us to glorify Him as well as minister to others. So, let's keep writing in spite of self-doubts, rejections and writer's blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with "Precious moments". This is a lovely and encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there is healing in the writing process itself. You've hit on a profound, but simple truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terilyn,

    It's true! Thanks for sharing what He revealed to you last summer that there is healing in the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is powerful, prayerful, heartfelt writing, Terilyn, and it spoke to my heart. I will pray for your mom. May God be with her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.