May 13, 2012

Not in Vain - T. L. Wiens

Life can teach some hard lessons. This last month has been filled with them. My niece took her own life. Among her last words to her family, was the idea that she would be in a better place after death. Isn't that what she heard at funerals?

I realize well meaning Christians share these sentiments to help in the grieving process. But are we really helping? Or are we being less than honest and in the end hurting people? Proverbs 27:6 says "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful." Which are we--friend or enemy when we don't clarify that death is a transport to peace only for those who are faithful to Jesus Christ?

As a writer, I try hard to make sure my words reflect my faith. After hearing that words I may have spoken were a factor in my niece's demise, I find myself spurred on to more diligence in this area. Lies don't help anyone even if they give a momentary comfort.

3 comments:

  1. Tammy, what a sobering experience! How devastated your family must be. So sorry for your loss. And know that God is faithful. He loves your niece and will deal righteously with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Violet.
    It has been a very emotional time but even in the face of tragedy God has provided His Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tammy,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your neice.
    btw it was so nice to see you at the writer's conference in Saskatoon! I'm glad to see you are still in the thick of writing! I'm looking forward to getting back into it now that I'm finished my classes. The writer's conference was a kick in the right direction for me!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.