May 23, 2012

A Good Name - Dorothy Bentley

A good name is more desirable than great riches;
to be esteemed is better than silver or gold. Proverbs 22:1



Being a writer is a difficult calling and it is a challenge to always act and react in a way which brings glory to God.

Not very long ago, one of my columns was cut from the local newspaper. I took it harder than I thought I would, and phoned the editor for explanation. It didn't seem fair, and as far as I knew, many people enjoyed my columns. As a Christian, I knew whatever I said would not only reflect on me personally, but also on my Lord. Even though I was hurt and disappointed, I bit my tongue and didn't say anything which I regretted, but I took my hurt feelings to a few trusted Christian friends who supported me, and prayed for me.

Not long after, I found myself working on a volunteer basis with a different editor from the same newspaper. She is a wonderful, talented lady. Just recently, she offered me a few freelance assignments, with the agreement that I would mentor a young writer with one of them, which I agreed to do.

I was thankful that I hadn't said or done anything to jeopardize my professional reputation. In the field of writing, no door is forever closed, and no editor is ever a person of the past. Editors move to new publishers, and new opportunities may come because of a good reputation.

Working hard, meeting deadlines, and keeping hurt feelings in check helped me to keep a good name. And even more importantly, I hope God's name was glorified as I put His reputation first.




2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! "All things work together for good"... unless we step in and mess it up with an unchecked tongue! A great reminder not to burn our bridges behind us! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elaine!
    Blessings on your writing journey!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.