January 19, 2009

Laughter - A God Gift



(Photo: Nap time with Daddy. This was taken when Trevor was three, I think.)








(Photo: Feeding time. This was taken about three weeks ago when Trevor was 26, I think.)
I'm grateful for a lot of things in this life, but I think the one thing I am really thankful for is a sense of humour. We hear all sorts of clichés about how laughter is the best medicine and how smiling releases endorphins that make us healthy and the like. You know what? I believe them. Clichés or not, I'm buying it. I have a very funny family. We love to laugh and tease. We love to make merry just because we can. Somehow it seems to unite us and prepare us. We know our limits, though, most of the time. If perchance someone crosses the threshold and offends the other we 'fess up and it is soon rectified.
As you can see by the stunning photography above, my 6'3" baby who is about to become a father this year, has a sense of humour just like his momma! There were times in his teenage years that I had to temper his teasing and put a bit of a reign on his wry sense of humour. But he has turned out to be quite a character and can be counted on to be the life of the party. The nice thing is, though, Trev can be philosophical, too and having a serious conversation with him can be just as refreshing as seeing him sitting in a high chair!
I'm glad God blessed me with the ability to laugh and a family to laugh with. Over this past year with all this cancer nonsense, laughter has been like good medicine. On more than one occasion it has brought me out of the pit of self-pity. Laughing with family and friends has made the journey more jovial and bearable. It has also allowed others to feel safe and comfortable talking personally with me, I think. Don't misconstrue...I have had dark moments. Tearful times. Moments of despair. But I am thankful that God has given me lots of teeth to show off and laughing has been a good release for me.
This is a bit of a secret right now but I do have an idea for another book once I've got my other ones settled into a potential home. I'm thinking of calling it "Cancer - No Laughing Matter...But it Helps!" I woke in the wee hours of the morning, once during my nasty chemo days and that title came to my head. I scribbled it down and it has been niggling at my brain ever since. Hmmm...
Laughter is a good tonic. God said so. “A cheerful heart does good like medicine...” Proverbs 17:22 TLB

3 comments:

  1. Humour is such a gift, you are right. God has blessed people with humour to remind me not to take life so seriously! Seeing your 6'3" son in a high chair is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it Pam! My dad and nephew both dealt with that nasty business a few years ago -- and we all found that finding the fun and humour in the midst of it all kept us 'sane'.

    Not to mention, stronger, for the joy of the Lord is our strength, as we all learned, as I'm certain you did too.

    So Pam, write it.... and may it bless many!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS... Oooops..... I was looking at Pam's note above and write her name instead of yours, Glynis.....

    So my note is for you....B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.