November 10, 2017

My Morning Prayers by Sharon Espeseth


If you're like me, you are often writing on the run or jotting down notes as you go about you duties of the day. I don't stop to pray before I get those words down on my notepad. Doing so might cause me to lose the point that came to me while I was folding the laundry. Beginning the day with a morning prayer, however, covers all bases.

I can refresh as the day goes on.






For years, I have prayed The Lord's Prayer in the morning--often before stepping into my slippers, which is when the real action begins. Although we know and love this prayer, here it is as a reminder. Many poster forms of this prayer can be found on the Internet. This one, being a free image, can be copied and literally pasted into a notebook or kept in a plastic sleeve.

Through this prayer, I surrender my will, which includes setting priorities and dealing with distractions according to God's will rather than my own. I ask for daily bread, which, to me, means healthy living and spiritual bread for my life and for my writing.

Asking forgiveness, can clear my mind of any wrong doings of yesterday. "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil" like those niggling writerly issues of pride, false humility, lack of confidence, impatience, judgment, biased thinking . . .






In more recent times, and as recommended by one of my friends who is a "cradle Catholic," I have come to appreciate The Morning Offering. For my writing, I can say, "I offer you, Dear Jesus, 'my prayers, my sufferings, my disappointments, my joys and my works.'
Amen."



My research on the Net unearthed wonderful Christian prayers suitable for people in any denomination. Here is one.

My Daily Offering to the Lord

Heavenly God, I offer You all my works and actions for this day for the glory of Your name. I pray that I may sanctify every beat of my heart, every thought in my mind. Every simple work I do, I offer onto You. I wish that all my sins be forgiven as You are a merciful and loving God.
I offer this prayer to those who are dear to me. I pray that they fulfil Your most holy will and that they may accept all sorrows that may come their way. Take all my laughter and my tears, every word, every thought and each deed to help all those who are in need. May this gift of prayer be a unique offering to Jesus Christ, Your son.
He renewed our spirits and guided our eyes to look heavenward. I pray that my soul be united with the Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name I pray Amen.

Favourite Psalms

"May the favour of the Lord rest on us (today);
establish the work of our hands for us--
yes, establish the work of our hands."                          
Psalm 90:17 (NIV)

"Let this be written for a future generation,
that a people not yet created may praise the Lord."
Psalm 102:18 (NIV)


Here's another thought! Write Your Own Psalm--See Write Your Own Psalm - MarcAlanSchelske.com

Savour a Morning Song

Morning Has Broken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5D3LEjGF8A


Sarach McLachlan and her music students sing Prayer of St. Francis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPnMxp5Occ




Write Your Own Writer's Prayer

You may have previously read my comments on The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. In the Appendix of her book on page 223, Cameron presents "An Artist's Prayer," which would be suitable for a writing group. Combining her thoughts on our being created by The Creator for creative living, I wrote my personal "Artist's Prayer."

You may pray this with me, or use this as a starting point to write your own "Artist's Prayer."

Dear Creator God,

I am here (at the kitchen table)
In your presence, asking You
To help me become aware
Of the abundance in my life.
May I sense your bounty freely given
Rather than fixating on my own lack.

I offer myself to you as an instrument
Of your peace and your plan.
I open myself to your creativity in my life.
I surrender my old ideas.
In their place, I welcome your new
And more expansive ways and design.

I trust you will lead me
For I know it is safe to follow,
Trusting you will lead me
In the direction that is right for me.
I know that you created me.
I know that creativity is your nature
And therefore my nature
For I am made in your image.

I ask you to unfold my life
According to your plan
Rather than according
To my own sense of self worth
Or the lack thereof.

Help me to understand and believe
That it is not too late for me
And that I am not too small or too flawed
To be healed by you and made whole
So that I may serve you and give you my best.

Amen









10 comments:

  1. Sharon, I loved the prayers you included at the end and I also have Psalm 90:17 posted above my desk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, Thank you for this well researched and personal post, full of prayers poems and laments (&song) Your artist prayer is very meaningful-I connected to its combination of praise, doubt and longing. I also appreciated the Sarah Mchlachlan video. Very meaningful post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. I respect you appreciation of what God laid on my heart, and I praise him for getting me out of bed at 5:30 a.m. on Friday to tell you this.

      Delete
  3. You pray first thing in the morning and then refresh it through the day? I do that too, but never thought of it like that. Excellent description!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it that way before either, as this is a computer term and I am so not techie, but it is what I try to do. Now we have a term for it, Bobbi!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this beautiful collage of prayers, Sharon. I’ve decided to review them in the morning for the next several days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment is encouraging, Sandi, and I also encourage each of you to see what you can come up with for Morning Prayers. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the prayers you shared as well, Sharon - especially the one you wrote yourself. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.