December 11, 2021

The Shepherd's View of Christmas by Carol Harrison


 

Hey everyone. Listen to what happened tonight. You’re never going to believe it but it’s all true. I don't have a good enough imagination to make this kind of thing up. I was with the other shepherds in the field outside Bethlehem just like every other night. It wasn't easy to stay awake during the blackness of the night. The job required it. Someone had to keep watch over the sheep and make sure they stayed calm not to mention keep the wild animals from snacking on them.We needed to sell all the unblemished ones for the sacrifice.

Once the sheep felt secure and rested quietly, I had settled in by the fire to wait out the long, dark hours of night. Hadn’t heard of bears or anything in the area so figured it would be a quiet night. I wrapped my rough cloak around myself against the chill of the night air and slid a bit closer to the warmth of the fire.

Suddenly the night sky lit up. An angel started talking to us. I rubbed my eyes but I was awake. This was no dream. It was like the glory of the Lord Almighty filled the night sky and a bright light shone down on us in that field. I was terrified. I hid my face and started to shake. I lifted my head to take a quick peek. I noticed my companions also hid their faces. I must not be dreaming. What was happening?

I listened to the words the angel spoke. He told us not to be afraid. Easier said than done I thought but the more the angel said, the less fear I felt. I started getting excited about the message.  Good news. Could sure use some of that. For everyone. Even me, a shepherd that no one had any use for. The Messiah had been born in Bethlehem. Israel had waited for centuries for this promise. But a baby as a Saviour?

How strange that we'd find this baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger. Wouldn't the Messiah, the Saviour come as a king to rid us of Roman oppression and right all the wrongs? How could a baby do any of that? Before I could figure any of it out, more angels than I could count joined the first one. The entire sky filled with light, The angels sang Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, good will to men.

Peace would be nice. The Romans kept us under their thumb. Even our own people didn’t trust us shepherds. They figured our word meant nothing. Life was hard. This beautiful sight and the amazing singing filled me with wonder and hope. As quickly as they came they finished their song of hope and disappeared. The stars twinkled overhead just like any other clear, cold night. The night seemed blacker and more silent after the angels left. Yet in all of this our sheep felt no fear – they kept resting.

 “Come on, let’s go! What are we waiting for?” I shouted to the others. “Let’s see for ourselves if this is really true.”


 I jumped up and started running into Bethlehem looking for the stable the angels told us about. The others could follow or not but I knew I had to go and find this Saviour. I found the place and there he was, just like the angel said he would be. A baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger. But in my heart I sensed this was the one the angels had proclaimed to us. He was no ordinary baby. 

I couldn't get the words out fast enough to tell Mary and Joseph everything I had seen and heard that night. I told them everything – about the angel and what he said and the choir of angels.

It still seems hard to believe that the God of heaven and earth told us first – lowly shepherds shunned by others. He sent us to see His Son, to be the first visitors to worship Jesus. I have to go tell more people. I want to tell everyone this wonderful news. Our Saviour is here – he was born tonight. He’s here – in that stable, lying in the manger. The wait is over. Thank you God for giving us the message of hope. Thank you Lord Almighty for letting me come and worship your son.

Glory to God in the highest. His Peace has come to the earth.

Come. You need to see for yourselves our Saviour is born. What are you waiting for?

Luke 2: 9-20

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you, he is Christ. the Lord. This will be a sign to you; you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger, suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel praising god and saying.

Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to men on whom his favour rests.

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven the shepherd said to one another, let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened which the Lord has told us about. So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph and the baby who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child. And all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherd said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherd returned glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.

 

Carol Harrison writes from her home in Saskatoon where she lives with her husband and youngest daughter. She has always loved Christmas and the message of hope only available through Jesus. www.carolscorner.ca
 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Carol, your shepherd did a good job bringing the past to life. How interesting that the sheep weren't afraid. I love that. So much for them being dumb. :) They know tidings of the Good Shepherd when they hear them.

    Christmas Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel the excitement Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine being the first to hear these tidings of great joy. The lead shepherd, like many others at the time of Jesus’ birth, was looking for peace and and an end to oppression from the Romans. He was puzzled as to how this babe in a manger would change the world. Hee was also puzzled as to why this message would come first to their motley group of shepherds, but he believed what the angel had told them. And he was excited to share this story with others--with anyone who would listen. May we still be excited about this story, excited enough to share it with others in any way we can. Let’s "go tell everyone the news that the kingdom of God has come."

    Thanks, Carol, for telling us this thought-provoking, exciting story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Carol, for this poignant story of the shepherd. I was attracted to your statement: "We needed to sell all the unblemished ones for the sacrifice." That's why the angels came to these shepherds--the ones who tended the lambs for sacrifice, and this signified that the baby King would replace the sacrificial system and be the ultimate sacrifice for our sins.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.