August 06, 2021

Invest In Rest by Bob Jones


Rest if you must, but don’t you quit.

 

I hope those words mean as much to you today as they do to me. When I feel like quitting it’s often because I’m tired. Tired of looking at a blank screen. Tired of writing. Tired of struggling to be creative. Tired of the incessant demand of writing deadlines. Mentally tired. Just, plain tired. 

 

Over the years I learned that it takes discipline and trust to rest. Trust that the writing groove will be found again. Discipline to force myself away from an unfinished project, close my laptop, or journal, and give myself permission to stop writing.

 

Resting is my solution to quitting.

 

Don't Quit

 

Poet Edgar A. Guest wrote the inspirational “Don’t Quit” one hundred years ago. In all, he published over 11,000 poems. Guest concludes his poem with the words,


You can never tell how close you are,

It may be near when it seems so far;

So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit –

It’s when things seem worst that you must not quit.

 

I wonder if he wrote “Don’t Quit:” out of his personal experience?  The poem is a gentle reminder to us all that even the most trying of times will end, and there are sunnier skies ahead.

 

Inscribers have felt the urge to quit.

 

In November 2020, Lynn Dove wrote, “I have never felt more like quitting than today! I look at the blank screen on my computer and experience an overwhelming urge to… declare my writing career done.” 

 

If it feels uncomfortable taking a rest its because there is so much around compelling us not to rest. Rest is a luxury; rest is a priority. How do you deal with this tension?

 

As Jesus followers we’re familiar with the “Sabbath rest.” Writer, Carol Tice, credits her creativity to the Sabbath rest. “What happens when you rest — truly rest — is nothing short of amazing and miraculous.

I know this because every week, I take a full day completely off of work.

I don't check email. I turn of all electronic devices. And I don't write a single thing.

It's wonderful.

I don't even think about working. (This part is important). Just total downtime.

And it's how I'm able to maintain a busy schedule of writing without losing my mind.”

 

Note to self:  Try this at least once before you retire.

 

Routine Commandments

Author Henry Miller created a work schedule that listed “commandments” for him to follow as part of his daily routine. Miller doesn't use the word “rest” but the value is woven through his list.

 

1. Work on one thing at a time until finished.

2. Don’t be nervous. Work calmly, joyously, recklessly on whatever is in hand.

3. Work according to Program and not according to mood. Stop at the appointed time!

4. Keep human! See people, go places.

5. Don’t be a draught-horse! Work with pleasure only.

6. Discard the Program when you feel like it—but go back to it next day. Concentrate. Narrow down. Exclude.

7. Forget the books you want to write. Think only of the book you are writing.

8. Write first and always. Painting, music, friends, cinema, all these come afterwards.

 

Invest in rest. You won't regret it. 

 


I write to grow hope, inspire people to be real, forge an authentic faith in Jesus, and discover their life purpose.


Please follow my writing at REVwords.com

I would love to hear from you.

10 comments:

  1. The poem you cite is amazing. I hadn't heard it before, but the line you quote is so powerful: Rest if you must, but don't you quit! I love this. The idea of a complete Sabbath rest is foreign to most people in western culture. Also, inspiring and true. it doesn't make sense, but i think God does the same thing when we do this as he does with tithing.he blesses us by helping us be more productive the rest of the time. thanks for this powerful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment about not being familiar with the poem caught my attention. One should never assume everyone knows what one knows. I'm going to go back and include some of the poem. That makes it easier for readers to be informed.

      Delete
  2. Love the poem - perfect timing for so many of us, Bob! Oh yes, rest is an investment. Thank you for your joyfully presented reminder list. I am energized from reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda! Your energy energizes me.

      Delete
  3. Amen, Bob, to these words of yours: "Resting is my solution to quitting."
    When I shared with my family that I had noticed a huge hint my recent project was probably going to get rejected, my son asked, "Are you going to quit writing?"
    I said, "No. I'm a writer. But I will take a break and do you know what."
    My family knows I simply return to crafting with paper and fabric when I'm discouraged as a writer. The glueing and sewing piece my hope back together. God speaks to my heart while my hands make art.
    Thank you for affirming my decision to rest and not quit.
    Blessings - Wendy Mac 🕊️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still amazes me that God had, and still has, to force people to rest. Maybe that's why he lets us become ill so he can get us to rest. I'll be glad when I retire at the end of October. I plan on resting from the work of my hands and watch a bunch of old TV shows on DVD. Often times, they inspire me to write.

      Delete
    2. I do understand what you mean, Wendy, that crafting can bring 'hope back together.' Without resting time of creating with my hands instead of a key board, I'd have nothing left to write!

      Delete
    3. So good Wendy. I go to my paddle board for a rest and refresher. At least yours is not seasonal. Tough time for me in the winter. :)

      Delete
  4. I loved your poem and commandments, Bob, and your advice at the end, "Invest in rest. You won't regret it." All are very applicable reminders for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's good Sandi. Always easier said than done. I hope you can rest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.