August 24, 2021

Discovering Soul Rest ~ Valerie Ronald



A few minutes early for my appointment, I waited in my car. Heart pounding, hands shaking, I took some deep breaths and prayed. I was about to see a lawyer about the dissolution of my first marriage. The conflict, trauma and stress leading to this decision still affected me physically and emotionally, yet after I prayed I felt a stillness settle over my soul. A deep, calming peace beyond my understanding kept my thoughts and heart quiet and at rest as I trusted in Christ to see me through.

Soul rest goes beyond rest experienced by merely ceasing from outward activity. It is possible to experience soul rest even in the midst of an exhausting situation or overwhelming circumstances. What this looks like for me is an internal step back from all the outer stimuli and demands to that deep, secret place where God meets me in the quiet. He promises to keep in perfect peace those whose desire rests on Him, because they trust in Him. Rest is not found in perfect situations but in the only perfectly safe Person. Jesus invites the weary and burdened,“Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.(Matt. 11:28-29 The Message)

 I have become more aware of soul rest as I’ve grown older. I find I no longer feel the need to constantly engage in social situations or participate like everyone else. In my mind, I find a chair at the back of the room where I can sit and enjoy the view. It rests my soul to see an elderly couple holding hands ˗˗ a father tenderly kissing the top of his baby’s head ˗˗ two friends laughing together. In everyday scenes these shining moments bring joy and rest to my soul as I experience them with Spirit-filled eyes.

When my soul is at rest in my Savior, the drive to measure up, to belong, to achieve in the eyes of others is replaced with a settled confidence in who I am in Christ. I know where I’ve come from, Whose hand has saved me and what awaits me in the future. Such absolute surety leads to the sweetest rest for my soul.

Soul rest is a gift from God, but there is something He requires from me before it is given. Unless I surrender totally to Him, follow Him in obedience and trust Him implicitly, my soul will continue to be restless. There is a direct link between my surrender to God and the rest I receive from God.

Surrendering to God, knowing I am safe with Him, brings serenity even when life is chaotic and painful. How does this sense of safety and security with God happen? The secret is tucked away in the Old Testament book of Jeremiah. When the nation of Israel had its back turned on God in rebellion and disobedience, He reminded them, “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Jer. 6:16 NIV)

The ancient paths, where the good way is, lie between the pages of God’s Word. There He reveals His perfect character, plan and purposes for the salvation of our souls. Walking those ancient paths with a desire to know God intimately, I find rest for my soul because I know I can safely surrender all to my Savior.

So how does soul rest impact my writing? Without it I would be constantly taken up with all the little fires needing to be put out, with imperfections staring me in the face, with the weariness of this world. When God prompts me to write for Him, I go to that secret place of the soul where I find rest and inspiration. He speaks to me there, unhurriedly, gently, gifting me with ideas and words I know come from His own heart. Even when I am busy or distracted, those words germinate and grow in my soul, sending shoots to the creative part of my brain where they bloom and bear fruit as words on the page. Soul rest is a necessity if I am to be obedient to my calling as a writer. As this beautiful hymn expresses, quiet rest is found only near to the heart of God. 

There is a place of quiet rest,
near to the heart of God,
a place where sin cannot molest,
near to the heart of God.

O Jesus, blest Redeemer,
sent from the heart of God,
hold us, who wait before thee,
near to the heart of God.


(Near to the Heart of God by Cleland Boyd McAfee ~ 1903 ~ public domain) 


Valerie Ronald lives in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. She is a graduate of Vancouver's Langara College journalism program, and has worked as a newspaper reporter, freelance writer, public speaker and bookstore employee. She writes devotionals for her home church bulletins and her online blog. Her current book project chronicles how God's faithfulness saw her through the dark valleys of divorce and cancer. Along with her husband, Valerie enjoys spending time with their blended family and six grandchildren. She is a nature photographer, water colorist, cat lover and Scrabble addict.
More of her devotionals can be read on her blog   https://scriptordeus.wordpress.com


12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful message! I pray we all will rest in God today and every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your positive comment, Melissa. Soul rest is available at all times, when we ask God to meet us there.

      Delete
  2. Dear Valerie, this is a beautiful picture of soul rest. The hymn, your photograph, and especially your words all inspire us to pause and reflect on the graciousness of our God.
    Amen to these words:
    "Rest is not found in perfect situations but in the only perfectly safe Person."
    Blessings as you continue to obey His call to write,
    Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Wendy. Rest found in Christ is the truest kind.

      Delete
  3. What lovely encouraging words. We need this kind of soul rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tracy, soul rest is so necessary for all God's children, and so restorative.

      Delete
  4. All people need soul rest. Instead of trying to run everything, we need to remember that Greyhound bus slogan. But in our case it's, "Rest in Christ and leave the driving to him."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your twist on that slogan, Bruce! Isn't it a relief to know our Sovereign God is "at the wheel"?

      Delete
  5. This is exactly where I long to be, again. Physical problems, chronic pain especially robbed me of this I am realizing. I shall return....thank you for the reminder of that secret place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying you will find rest for your soul and relief from physical problems and pain, in the hands of the Healer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "When God prompts me to write for Him, I go to that secret place of the soul where I find rest and inspiration. He speaks to me there, unhurriedly, gently, gifting me with ideas and words I know come from His own heart." What encouraging words, Valerie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm late in reading, but a huge Thank you for this beautiful post!
    I connect with your idea of taking that "internal step back from all the outer stimuli and demands to that deep, secret place where God meets me in the quiet." Oh, may we go there often.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.