March 13, 2020

My Lent Confession by Wendy L. Macdonald

   
    Fast, give, and pray are three things I’m doing for Lent this year. By the way, don’t be impressed, because I have a confession concerning Lent to make at the end of this post. But, for now, I’ll share how I’ve been blessed and am being a blessing by participating in Lent.

Fast

     This turned out to be the easiest one for me. I am fasting from evening treats and chocolate. I’m not a fan of bigger fasts because I used to have eating disorders. Fasting can be a trigger for those who have been where I never want to go again (Now you know why it’s easy for me to fast from chocolate. Pardon the dark humor.); however, small fasts help me focus on my spiritual health.

They’re a signal to my soul to pay closer attention to the Holy Spirit.

     So, instead of looking forward to my usual evening treats, I look forward to connecting deeply with God and family. Only love satisfies the inner longings we all have.

Give

     I don’t have much money nor energy to give. And I happen to be recovering from a second cold. Come on, spring, come—already. But I do have the ability to give attention to others via social media. Therefore, I’ve been prompted to heed nudges regarding replying to messages and sending encouraging words.

As always, it’s more blessed to give than to receive.

      Although, I did receive a message just before typing this that warmed my heart.

Pray

     I normally pray each morning. However, I’ve taken an extra step into prayer by being generous with my praying during Lent.

When I spot a need, I pray on the spot instead of promising to pray later.

     Later tends not to come as often when you’re over 50. 😊

     I’ve also chosen to pray for a writing friend each morning. A bright sticky note with her name on it greets me each morning when I open my journal.

     My Lent Confession

     I’ve never paid much attention to Lent before. For some reason I have an aversion to most religious traditions. I love celebrating Good Friday and Easter Sunday. I enjoy Christmas in moderation. I cherish communion. But anything more added to the list feels like a burden.

     Here’s your chance to preach at me in the comments and convince me to be a Lent enthusiast. Wait, I think I already am thanks to needing to have something to write for this month’s topic.

     Maybe I’ll fast, give, and pray during Lent next year too.

     I’m nosy-to-know if you relate to my struggle?

"...return to me with all your heart..." Joel 2:12 NIV 

Lent Blessings ~ Wendy Mac     

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of praying on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to do this over the phone too. Just now, I prayed for some Facebook friends facing health concerns. I know I love reading prayers by others. It's comforting to join in and agree. xo

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing your struggles, Wendy. Your points reminded me that fasting draws us closer to the Spirit. Giving is more blessed than receiving, and praying about a need right away helps us to listen and obey God's prompting. Your examples show us that practicing these disciplines can be joyous occasions, not burdensome.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, dear Sandi. Yes, that's exactly what I've experienced during Lent so far--joy. Oh my, I had no idea it would impact me so much to purposely pursue more intimacy with Jesus and others through these simple steps. :) Blessing. Not burden. Amen.
      Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete
  2. You’ve given us a great blessing by writing this blog, Wendy. This is almsgiving of the heart. And I thank you for it. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for blessing me back, dear Sharon. <3
      Hugs ~ Wendy Mac

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.