January 22, 2019

Writing Goals Of The Unseen Kind - Alan Anderson





I considered my writing goals for 2019 in late Nov. 2018. In early Dec. my “goals” took on a more personal and sobering nature. Once we entered this New Year I revised my goals to make them more realistic for what I believe I can accomplish.


I believe in goals, of course, but I leave room in my mind for the unexpected, for life twists, for those experiences causing me to review my “goals.” In this context the beautiful words of 2Corinthians: 4:16-18 encourages me to embrace why I write.

“So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed every day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, because we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen; for the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.”


I write to reach the hearts of people. When life wears a person down causing them to be weary and heavy laden there is still hope. There are still those things “unseen,” an eternal goal to lead our way.


As I entered 2019 I did so with a weary heart. A woman I admired was dying. Although I never had the privilege of meeting her in person I loved who she was. She devoted her life to coming alongside people who were dying and teaching others how to do this. I loved her writing, her teaching and her down to earth approach to the compassionate care of people.


She died on Jan. 18 and I wrote a memorial to her on Jan. 19 in my blog ScarredJoy. Writing this blog post became an immediate goal for me. I share this excerpt with you.

“It was an odd sensation one day early in Dec. 2018. I planned on sending an email to Dr. Megory Anderson of the Sacred Dying Foundation in San Francisco. We exchanged emails every so often since I enrolled in her Sacred Dying Vigil Training in 2015. Before I composed my email message I noticed heart-wrenching words on the Sacred Dying Facebook group page. Megory suffered a massive stroke and was receiving comfort care at a hospital in San Francisco” (Anderson, Alan, “Megory: Loved & Missed, https://scarredjoy.ca, WordPress, Jan. 19. 2019)


Megory’s devastating stroke then her death caused me to reevaluate the writing goals I had laid. It sounds a bit odd to phrase it this way, but it is true. My writing comes from my heart of being with people during difficult times in their lives. It was natural for me to reconsider my writing goals in a heartfelt way. My goals have to be meaningful and make a lasting difference in the lives of real people. This is my hope for any writing goal I have.



As a writer who is a Christian I have eternity in my heart in my writing. I have come alongside many people facing the end of their lives. People of all kinds of backgrounds and beliefs. People who suffered momentary afflictions and were aware of this. They died with unseen eternal things to look forward to.


As writers who have eternity in common we can make a difference in the lives of our readers. We can also encourage each other in our writing goals. Let us not lose heart in spite of knowing “our outer nature is wasting away.” We have an eternal goal in mind. It is a precious goal we look toward.




6 comments:

  1. You have such a special calling, Alan and once again your words have touched my heartstrings. I am sorry for the loss of your friend, but you have managed to weave something beautiful here and it does her credit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a genuine encourager to me Tracy. Thank you. I'm happy you get me. :) Megory was a beautiful soul. She was gentle with people. Here was this sought after speaker who earned a PhD in End of Life matters, yet still sat with people as their lives came to an end. She is missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend sounds like an amazing person. It is very hard to understand why her time came so early. I can imagine it is even harder for you to understand. You did an excellent job writing about her life and the things that she stood for when you haven't even met her. You truly do have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gloria. Megory came to Vancouver, BC in July 2017. Due to illness I missed meeting her. It was the only opportunity I had. Her Sacred Dying Fb group allowed me to share my blog post in memory of her. I consider it such an honour to do this. She earned her PhD five years ago and used her education well. When she died the first thought I had was, she left us too soon. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you, Alan. May God continue to bless your loving and sincere effortsas you stand in the gap for those who must bid farewell to loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon. It is always an honour and a pleasure. I loved Megory's vision and hands on approach. It saddens me her colleagues have not determined the work of the Sacred Dying Foundation will continue. I'm praying it will continue. I appreciate how encouraging you are to me Sharon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.