February 03, 2012

Rest - Janis Cox


I have a plate that says, "Stop and Smell the Roses".


The plate was a gift and at the time I saw it as a “cute plate”. My life was in high gear – supermom, always on the go. No time to smell the roses.


Of course, eventually I burned out. My body couldn’t take the pace. All the stress and tension with no time or outlet for release put my body into a physical wreck.

Jesus tells his disciples:
“Come off by yourselves; let’s take a break and get a little rest.” (The Message 4-6)
Jesus knew that taking time for restoration was essential for us.
“Certainly work is not always required of a man. There is such a thing as sacred idleness – the cultivation of which is now fearfully neglected.” (G MacDonald)

Release
Everything
Stop
Thinking

Finally forced into REST – I Iearned that rest is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle.

Release
Everything
Sit
Tight.

My first time sitting still lasted five minutes. No great accomplishment but a start. Being in high gear meant it would take time for me to put myself into a lower gear. I needed to be patient and practice.

Gradually in those times of solitude (no interruptions, no TV and no radio) I heard my own heartbeat. I knew I lived. I started to understand me.

And into this solitude God came. My intentional slowing down led me to know myself as God made me. I began to enjoy these times of refreshment. I learned more about me.

REST is not an easy thing to accomplish. It takes perseverance, discipline and time.

When was the last time you found REST?


Prayer:

Into our busy lives I ask for time to REST – to restore our bodies and minds. And in that REST I know You will be there, Lord. Come and restore us to knowing You. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.




7 comments:

  1. a favorite verse:

    "The same day went Jesus out of the house and sat by the sea-side." Matthew 13:1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles,
    Thanks for that verse. There were many times that Jesus went off by Himself - to restore Himself with God. Today I took a lovely hot bath - a time of refreshing.
    Blessings,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. We easily fall into that acclaimed Puritan work ethic... but where is the "rest" ethic? Thanks for this reminder to say no to busyness and yes to being still!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said.... I too have been learning about rest and having been trying to create space every day for a little 'come away' time.

    Thanks for the reminder today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS.. Charles, I'm going right now to find that verse from Matt 13:1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:20 am GMT-7

    Thanks LC and Brenda,

    I am trying to learn to follow my own advice. REST.

    And also I remember to call to God in prayer - help - HELP; Having Everything Lifted in Prayer.

    Thanks again and blessings,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once heard that the enemy makes us ineffective through busyness, noise, and crowds. Jan, I love the R.E.S.T. reminder and send your post to a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.