October 08, 2026

Give Thanks Anyway by Carol Harrison

 

         photo by Carol Harrison


It’s the season when our thoughts are directed towards giving thanks. Yet it should be something we do continually. But the question becomes, “How do we accomplish that in the midst of the difficult times of life?”

One of the worst times in my writing journey happened decades ago. Yet it remains a vivid memory. A single comment from a teacher negated the good mark on my short story and I believed I couldn’t write well. A second comment a few months later along with a failing grade from an English professor convinced me of my inability to write. Thankfulness never entered my mind. Discouragement did. I stuffed my enjoyment of writing deep inside, telling myself I’d focus on passing my classes. I’d forget the idea I could write anything remotely reader friendly.

Looking back, I dwelt in that belief for a few decades before giving in to pressure from my husband to try and write. I argued I wasn’t a writer. I didn’t know how. He encouraged. I grumbled and then tried. Thankfulness didn’t enter my mind.

Then God sent others into my life to encourage and give direction in how to become unstuck. I began to learn what I’d hidden away for years. I learned lessons in giving thanks in between but in that one area involving writing, I remained unthankful; fearful of letting others reading what I wrote.

Over the years, God in his patience and mercy kept nudging me towards lessons in giving thanks in all situations including writing. I still struggle with being obedient to His command when life is hard and words won’t come. Yet God reminds me He’ll use my pain for His glory and my good when I give him the broken pieces of my life. I don’t have to like the dry times, the lack of ideas, and words to fill a blank space won’t appear but I still need to give thanks.

Then I remember to reread Psalm 103 and am reminded of all there is to give thanks to God for.

Psalm 103:2-5 (NIV)
² Praise the Lord, my soul and forget not all his benefits—

³ Who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,

⁴ Who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion,

⁵ Who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
The Psalm continues with so many reasons to praise the Lord and give thanks for all God is and does for me. For that I can give thanks in all situations of my life, even when facing a blank page that waits for ideas and words.


Carol Harrison writes from her home in Saskatoon, SK. She enjoys reading, family times and history too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are moderated to deter spam which is why your comment will not appear immediately.

If you sign in using "Anonymous", could you leave your name along with your comment so we know who left it.

Thank so much for taking the time to join in the conversation. We appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you've found helpful or meaningful in some way.